Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1
pyles
macrumors newbie

Automator - Script for Ejecting all USB Devices

Hey guys,

I have a belkin USB Hub that I use to plug in my External HDD's, iPod, printers, USB thumbdrive, etc.

I was wondering (as I am just beginning, made my first Automator script last night), if I could use Automator to eject all of these things for me, so that when I want to take my Macbook I can just run that script and everything ejects.

I have it setup so that it will eject my 3 External HDD's, but when I have my iPod plugged in and I Use the default iPod Eject built into automator it says no iPod is connected (but one is because I see it in iTunes, etc).

So I am wondering, how do I actually get my iPod to eject, and is there a way to get it so that any external HDD's/Printers/Thumb drives I plug in, will automatically eject?

Thanks!
pyles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:37 AM   #2
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Is your iPod an iPod Touch? It seems as if that automator action can't do them (or at least my iPhone)

Change the automator action to a simple "Run applescript" and then enter this into it

Quote:
on run {input, parameters}

try
tell application "Finder"
eject the disks
end tell
tell application "iTunes"
eject iPod
end tell
on error
display dialog "sorry something went wrong"
end try
return input
end run
Seems to work on my machine.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Slip
macrumors 6502a

On the note of the iPod, which model is it? For the Touch you don't have to eject it before removing it from the dock; that's the only thing I can think of in regards to why Automator says there's no iPod connected. Sorry for the limited help
EDIT: Beat me to it ^

Last edited by Slip; Apr 11, 2008 at 12:34 PM.
Slip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:48 AM   #4
pyles
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip View Post
On the note of the iPod, which model is it? For the Touch you don't have to eject it before removing it from the dock; that's the only thing I can think of in regards to why Automator says there's no iPod connected. Sorry for the limited help
Thanks sorry it is a 2nd gen iPod Nano 4gb (green to be exact ) Haha. I will try the above. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xUKHCx View Post
Is your iPod an iPod Touch? It seems as if that automator action can't do them (or at least my iPhone)

Change the automator action to a simple "Run applescript" and then enter this into it

Seems to work on my machine.
Thank you so much! Works perfectly and gets the ipod as well!

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Apr 11, 2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Merging, please use MULTIQOUTE to answer more than one post...
pyles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:35 PM   #5
Slip
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyles View Post
Thanks sorry it is a 2nd gen iPod Nano 4gb (green to be exact ) Haha. I will try the above. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Thank you so much! Works perfectly and gets the ipod as well!
Glad to see it's sorted

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store