Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
My macbook charger is showing an orange light even though the battery is 100% charged and has 100% health.
Its a brand new macbook and has been connected to the charger constantly, battery has had one cycle.
Any ideas?

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
does the battery bar have a plug or a lighting bolt in it
it should be alright, nothing to worry about

Yes it does, used the battery for half an hour, in the process of charging to see if it turns green.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Here ya' go:

Calibrating a MacBook or MacBook Pro battery

Calibrate the battery in your MacBook or MacBook Pro every month or two to keep your battery functioning at its fullest capacity.

To calibrate the battery:
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter and fully charge the MacBook or MacBook Pro battery until the light on the MagSafe connector changes to green and the Battery icon in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
Allow the battery to rest in the fully charged state for two hours or longer. You may use your computer during this time as long as the power adapter is plugged in.
Disconnect the power adapter with the computer on and start using it with battery power. When the battery's charge gets low, you’ll see the low battery warning dialog on the screen.
Continue to keep your computer turned on until it goes to sleep. Save your work and close all applications when the battery's charge gets low and before the computer goes to sleep.
Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or longer.
Reconnect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged. You may use your computer during this time.
Repeat the calibration process every two months or so to keep the battery fully functioning. If you use your MacBook or MacBook Pro infrequently, it’s best to recalibrate the battery at least once a month.

If you purchased additional batteries, repeat the calibration process with those batteries as well.

Hope this helps. :cool:

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter and fully charge the MacBook or MacBook Pro battery until the light on the MagSafe connector changes to green
I cant do that as its stays orange, but iStat says its fully charged.

Its a bit of a pain waiting for the macbook to sleep for 4-5 hours, its an active macbook which runs everything for my business, only apple would think of something like this!

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
My next guess would be a new MagSafe Charger. It looks like a trip down to the nearest Apple Store. Also, check to see if there are any updates that you might have missed, then again that could have been on the MBA. :confused:

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Its all up to date.
It was working fine until yesterday wen the magsafe changed orange. I will drain the battery but not 100% fully as I can leave it for more than an hour or two.
What a pain, I haven't had much luck will apple products. I've had 3 iMacs which all needed a repair of some kind. 5 iPod nanos which developed faults over an 18 month period and my iPod touch which is with apple at the moment. Along with a faulty macbook hard drive.
I cant keep driving down to the apple store, its over 2 hours away. Looks like I'm going to give them a call on Monday.
Thanks for your help anyway.

ashjamben

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
Shanghai, China
when it says its 100%, click the battery icon. although a plug means its finished charging it still displays a plug when the battery is 'finishing charge' and the magsafe will still be orange

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.