Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2007
Hey,
Yesterday I tried the Hear utility which was supposed to improve the sound on my Mac.. Well, you can do many things with it, but I realized I didn't need it so I uninstalled it. Now my sound is messed up - looks like it retained the settings I left there when I was playing with Hear. In activity monitor I can see that Hear Daemon is running in the background (even though I uninstalled Hear and restarted computer...) Can anyone please help me to remove it (or restore my original sound settings? Don't want to have all the surrounds, deep bass and all the effects there all the time :( Killing it after every restart does not seem to help...

Thanks

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Reinstall Hear. If a Restore Defaults is available use that then...Uninstall using AppDelete - AppZapper - etc so it is properly removed.

barispurut

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
Here's how to kill & delete HEAR Daemon:

Hi,

1- Download Mac Pilot (or any app which allows you to manage the "Login Items")

2- Under "Tools" tab, go to "Login Items",

3- Uncheck both boxes (hide / on) for Hear Daemon.app

4- Go to Library / Application Support (*)

5- Delete the folder named "Hear"

6 - And restart.

This is how I got rid of the sound problem. I hope it helps.

PS: If you can't find the "Hear" folder under Library / Application Support, check the other Library directory in the "Users" folder.

I hope it helps,

Baris

Hey,
Yesterday I tried the Hear utility which was supposed to improve the sound on my Mac.. Well, you can do many things with it, but I realized I didn't need it so I uninstalled it. Now my sound is messed up - looks like it retained the settings I left there when I was playing with Hear. In activity monitor I can see that Hear Daemon is running in the background (even though I uninstalled Hear and restarted computer...) Can anyone please help me to remove it (or restore my original sound settings? Don't want to have all the surrounds, deep bass and all the effects there all the time :( Killing it after every restart does not seem to help...

Thanks

Serge N Gin

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
Australia
I realise this thread is some months *old* now, but I had exactly the same problem as the OP with my sound messed up even though I had uninstalled the Hear app and I have AppTrap installed too ... when I was listening to songs in iTunes, the cymbal crashes were distorting and I didn't know what to do about it.

Quite by accident I found this thread, then I re-installed Hear and found the "Uninstall" option in the File menu .... ;)

I chose this option and now my sound is back to "normal" :)

So it seems that even with an app remover like AppTrap installed, things like the Hear Daemon can't be removed .... don't know if I like that thought ...

wolfi2804

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2013
ok, this is 5 years old now, but I found this thread and it really saved my life.
So I thought I should shortly explain, what worked for me.

I also had issues after uninstalling "Hear" (with AppCleaner) - distorted sound, a bit like a reverb. The only time, it wasn't happening was when playing YouTube videos in Safari, all the other sound (iTunes, local files with VLC or Quicktime...) was distorted.

What worked for me, was to install Hear again and run it. It then said, that the testing phase has expired. I had the choice to buy it, end it or uninstall it. Clicked "Uninstall and Restart" and after restarting the Mac (MBP Retina with 10.8.4) the issues were gone.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
ok, this is 5 years old now, but I found this thread and it really saved my life.
So I thought I should shortly explain, what worked for me.

I also had issues after uninstalling "Hear" (with AppCleaner) - distorted sound, a bit like a reverb. The only time, it wasn't happening was when playing YouTube videos in Safari, all the other sound (iTunes, local files with VLC or Quicktime...) was distorted.

What worked for me, was to install Hear again and run it. It then said, that the testing phase has expired. I had the choice to buy it, end it or uninstall it. Clicked "Uninstall and Restart" and after restarting the Mac (MBP Retina with 10.8.4) the issues were gone.
You didn't have to install and uninstall it again. The problem is using AppCleaner and similar apps. If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

okaypol

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2015
Make the moment perfect
THANK YOU!!!! I thought I was going deaf or something... haha xddd

I tried changing the volume and speakers and Mplayer...but to 1% ok. if it was on the minimum. And soundbunny said Hear is installed and can't use it. I didn't get it.

THANK YOU!!!!:D:apple:

I realise this thread is some months *old* now, but I had exactly the same problem as the OP with my sound messed up even though I had uninstalled the Hear app and I have AppTrap installed too ... when I was listening to songs in iTunes, the cymbal crashes were distorting and I didn't know what to do about it.

Quite by accident I found this thread, then I re-installed Hear and found the "Uninstall" option in the File menu .... ;)

I chose this option and now my sound is back to "normal" :)

So it seems that even with an app remover like AppTrap installed, things like the Hear Daemon can't be removed .... don't know if I like that thought ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.