Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I was going to post a really long essay, till I came across a post where someone said that Macbook Pros automaticly downclock their clock speeds unless both A/C power & battery are connected. Tested this out myself and it appears to be true.

Can anyone here tell me how do I run my Macbook Pro at full processing power when just connected to A/C, without having to put my battery in? Or to run it at full power even with just my battery alone inside? Also, does leaving my battery inside while on A/C power kill the battery life? I heard many many different opinions. Some people advice me to take it out, whereas others tel me that it doesn't matter for lithium batteries.

mags631

Mar 6, 2007
Can anyone here tell me how do I run my Macbook Pro at full processing power when just connected to A/C, without having to put my battery in? Or to run it at full power even with just my battery alone inside?

If you are asking how you can change the performance characteristics of your laptop based on the power state (plugged in or operating on battery), you can do this through the Energy Saver system preference. If you want to manually override what the performance profile is, first ensure that the "Show battery status in the menu bar" option is selected in this same system preference under the "Options" tab. Then, click on the battery icon in the menu bar and select the desired performance profile under whatever operating conditions you are in (e.g., "Better Performance").

Also, does leaving my battery inside while on A/C power kill the battery life? I heard many many different opinions. Some people advice me to take it out, whereas others tel me that it doesn't matter for lithium batteries.

I've also heard that it does not matter, but perhaps someone else can confirm this.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
It doesn't matter.

you should leave the battery in because:
1. It will not damage it.
2. If you accidentally disengage the magsafe, unsaved data will be lost.
3. You will run at a dramatically slower speed. The battery is there as a buffer if the 85w power supply cannot handle the load. This is the reason for downclocking--to use less power and keep it within the ability of the adapter.

this is also another reason why you cannot use macbook adapters with macbook pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.