Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:15 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

No More Folder Digging - With Color Labels

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: No More Folder Digging - With Color Labels
Description:: Previously, we explored the possibilities Spotlight comments in combination with Smart Folder offer us to organize our files and folders more efficient. Today we will look at another method to break free of the traditional files-in-folder paradigm: Color labels.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2008, 12:35 AM   #2
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

I love color labels, but can I get MORE COLORS please!
Old Apr 13, 2008, 01:10 AM   #3
zephead
macrumors 68000

You know one thing I actually miss about OS 9? The labels actually changed the color of the folder, rather than just a bubble of color around the text. It was a lot easier to tell at a glance which label you assigned to a folder if it stood out among all the blue folders surrounding it.

And another thing I miss: More appearance themes than just blue and graphite. But that's for another thread.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 02:03 PM   #4
nagromme
macrumors G5

It was great how ANY icon would be tinted by the label color. Seems like something Quartz ought to be able to handle! Maybe in the form of a soft glow around the edge, if tinting document previews is a bad thing (which it probably is).

(I just want Graphite to show the red/green/yellow button colors on rollover--not all the time, just on rollover!)
nagromme is offline   0
Old Apr 13, 2008, 03:20 PM   #5
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephead View Post
You know one thing I actually miss about OS 9? The labels actually changed the color of the folder, rather than just a bubble of color around the text. It was a lot easier to tell at a glance which label you assigned to a folder if it stood out among all the blue folders surrounding it.

And another thing I miss: More appearance themes than just blue and graphite. But that's for another thread.
ditto.
arkmannj is online now   0
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:49 PM   #6
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
I actually find the colored labels distracting, the way OS9 shaded the folder itself was much easier at a glance. With the colored labels, my eyes are drawn by the color before I would read the name of the folder, it sort of acted like visual speed bumps. Where as with the colored folder, I could look for the color folder peripherally while glancing through the labels.

Its a Sunday afternoon, I'm bored and the Masters ain't doing it for me.

"Only a fool looks at a hand pointing to the sky"
macnulty is offline   0
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:15 AM   #7
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Yeah, the only people that like the current incarnation of Folder Labels are people who have never used OS9.

It's a great concept, but in OSX, I never EVER use them for reasons already stated:

- The colors suck
- The display of the colors also sucks

The development of the finder representation of files hasn't advanced at all since OS9. Well, quicklook + coverflow can be handy, but I'm talking more along the lines of having the Folder intelligently show you it's contents (a folder full of word docs might have the word doc icon stamped on it). Varying icon sizes within a folder would be nice, as well. The App icon could be large, whereas the readme and changelog would be much smaller.

But, in the end, Quarts ought to be able to "color" an icon in much more significant ways than it's doing now.
Old May 9, 2008, 02:46 PM   #8
tallgirl
macrumors newbie

Did you ever find out if you can get MORE COLORS???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
I love color labels, but can I get MORE COLORS please!
This is exactly what I want too, MORE COLORS for color labels. Can someone please tell me how I can add them!
tallgirl is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion