Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Normally when I'm in a forum, my grievances don't extend to such petty things as cartoon characters, but...

WTF has happened to Bugs Bunny???

See, my granddaughter is almost three, and while the Backyardigans and the Wonder Pets are cute (and actually sometimes quite funny), I'm dismayed at most of the other cartoons that are out there. They are simply unimaginative and unfunny compared to what I grew up with.

So...I've decided to introduce my little stinker to the joys of falling anvils, firecrackers, wisecracking wabbits and dim-witted coyotes.

Yeah...but try and find them on TV! They're not on anywhere. And that's...dethpicable.

In my googling, I found someone who claims the Looney Tunes bunch are now in the Cartoon Network stable, but when I went over to their web site, all I found was the baby version.

I even checked for DVDs at the library, and you can get 'em...if you wanna get in line behind 27 other people. I'm not kidding. They're one of the two most popular kids' shows they have (the other being Scooby-Doo).

And so I think I'm gonna be forced to buy the DVDs myself. At prices around $50-60 per set, though, getting even a good-sized portion of the series is going to be expensive.

Okay, so I'm gonna have to shell out. This still leaves me with the question of why one of the most popular cartoon series, starring the #1 most popular cartoon character (according to TV Guide), can't be found anywhere on any of the cartoon channels. I want to see...er, I mean, I want her to see them!

That's all, folks.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I give the above post 5 of 5.

Awesome cartoon, awesome parenting. I hope she loves them, I imagine she will.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
One day, your granddaughter is going to copy what she sees in your cartoon, find an anvil, large cliff, a gullible friend to stand at the bottom of the cliff, and then try to kill him by dropping it on him, or at least nail him on the head and send him 10 feet underground, completely unharmed.

Stop being so irresponsible.

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
It makes me sad as wellm because they were still around when I was a kid. Granted, I am only 20 now, I even realize how the quality of Saturday morning cartoons has diminished. I miss the old school cartoons. We should start a petition. Maybe some network out there would get the idea.

Also, had you thought about licensing for the cartoons? I can't imagine it is very cheap...

maxrobertson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
Jakarta
I'm sorry to crap on your cherished memories, but Bugs Bunny was not very good. I watched it all the time when I was younger, but there were better shows on at the time, like Rocko and I guess the Fairly Oddparents is a good kid's show now.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
That's funny, my co-workers and I were discussing this topic the other day. Kids today have crap for cartoons/tv shows.

I'm 23 and I grew up with Looney Toons, Tiny Toons (the baby Toons you refer to), Doug, Ren & Stimpy (a personal fav), Ahhhhhh! Real Monsters, Rocco's Modern Life, Hey Dude, Salute Your Shorts, Wild and Crazy Kids, Double Dare (and it's various flavors) and various other shows.

Sigh.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
<snip>...and I guess the Fairly Oddparents is a good kid's show now.

the Fairly Oddparents is too new. We're talking about the early 90's here. Well, I am.. As a 20 year old, I have come to realize that I was at the tale end of the good 'toons.

Some of my favorites, in no real older..

Taz, Marvin the Martin, the Smurfs, Woodie the Woodpecker, Roadrunner, Bugs Bunny, Donald + Daffy Duck, and the sheriff guy.

Oh, and who can forget Duck Tales!?

In the words of Porky Pig.. "Da da dat's all folks!"

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yeah, the early 90's really was the tail-end of the generation who got good cartoons. You probably have to be born in 1982 to have really experienced it, 1980 to remember it, and 1975-78 to remember it well. I was born in 1980.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
my kids watch it regularly on the "toon network". you could record it to your awesome mac and burn DVDs.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
I'm twenty-three right now, and the last time that I thought that cartoons were any good was the original lineup of ABC's "One Saturday Morning". Doug, Pepper Ann, and Recess. That was when I was thirteen years old. I have yet to find anything new since then that's at all entertaining. I can't stand SpongeBob Square Pants. Makes me want to throw the television off a bridge, and then follow the television myself.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I agree the cartoons have just dropped in quality. They seem to of dumb them down even more where they have to TELL you every little thing that is going on. They can not let one figure it out any more. It is rather said. Look at old school TMNT and compared them to the new. You will see the new is dumb down so much more. Same with the transformers. It makes me sad.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Nuffin on "teh torrentz"??

Oh Noes, don't speak of such, they'll find you! :p

I was never a fan of Looney Toons or Scooby-Doo. I was a big fan of Tiny Toons though. Even at a young age, I felt Looney Toons was kind of old school. Although the age of the show should not hold anything to it's quality.

As of kids show now, the only one I can watch is Spongebob, that **** is ridiculous and hilarious, I love it. Everything else seems corny, and the same old crap with different characters.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
now i planned for this parenting thing buy buying up coppeis (over the years) of Superted, He-Man, Inspector Gadget, Transformers, Button Moon, Care Bares, My Little Pony, The Muppets and Fraggle Rock, admitedly He-Man and transformers were for my sole enjoyment but if my daughter wants to watch them, Fine.

Remember P.P.P.P.P. = Prior Planning Prevents Poor Preformance

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I could go for some classic Inspector Gadget.:cool:

Looney Tunes never gets old, I don't care when you were born the stuff is still great. The best in crude cartoon humor.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Even in the 80's they were censoring Loony Tunes for being "too violent". Nowadays they couldn't show them without rating the show TV-MA (L,S,V).

The first season of Sesame Street from 1969 was recently released on dvd and they had to put a warning label on it: "Not Appropriate for Children".

When milquetoast parents won't even let their kids play on the front lawn by themselves for fear on them being kidnapped and murdered, even animated anvils become risqué.

On the plus side, iTunes recently started selling some Looney Tunes. I'm hoping for the entire set one day.

My future children will certainly not be saddled with television that only depicts pastel-colored non-characters never living life in order to stay "safe". They're also gonna watch "The Never Ending Story" (the horse dies) sometime in elementary school and Fame when they become teenagers (abortion, rebellion, sexuality, competition and excellence).

cheeseadiddle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
I was never huge on BB. I was more a Coyote/Roadrunner kid. Loved me a bunch of the old Hannah Barberra stuff. Like Secret Squirrel, Atom Ant, Top Cat, Quick Draw McGraw, Huckleberry Hound, Yogi Bear and such. Also dug Popeye [especially the b/w ones], The Jetsons and I still get off on watching the old Rockey and Bullwinkle Show, on those rare occasions it gets aired anymore. There has never been anything produced as good as Fractured Fairy Tales, Peabody's Improbable History and Dudley Do-Right. And while I'm at it, the old Mighty Mouse wasn't bad either.

I'd watch any of those over Bugs Bunny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.