Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickyj182

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2002
Morehead, KY
I currently have a contract already with AT&T, and have a very lousy RAZR. If I purchased an iPhone, could I simply pop in my sim card, add the data package from AT&T and be good to go?

archesdevil

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
No, it does not work that way. I had a Razr when I bought my iPhone as well. What you do is buy the iPhone take it home and connect to iTunes. It will set everything up from iTunes including service and data plans. You do not change sims. Store all of your contacts from the Razr to Address Book thru iSync and then the iPhone will sync from Address book.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I currently have a contract already with AT&T, and have a very lousy RAZR. If I purchased an iPhone, could I simply pop in my sim card, add the data package from AT&T and be good to go?

No, but it's not exactly much more difficult than that. I was in the same situation (except the only thing lousy about my RAZR was the nice crack on it from dropping it) and upgraded about a month ago. You just have to dock the iPhone and do what iTunes tells you. I had to use my Apple ID (your account to buy junk from iTunes) and I needed info about the AT&T account (billing ZIP, maybe last 4 of SSN, phone number). There's a screen that allows you to just add the data plan for $20/month. It's pretty simple.

I think the whole process maybe took 5 minutes. Well, 5 minutes after I got my anti-glare face cover on. NOBODY should touch their iPhone without putting at least a face cover on it first. I regretted not doing that for my iPod for a couple of years because it got scratches from the stupid case I bought for it. A couple of rogue dust particles made it under that cover, but when I get the nerve to I can get rid of those. You can't undo scratches on the screen.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003

If you run Pwnage/iLiberty/ziphone first, yes. If not, then you will need to use the sim that comes with the iPhone and extend your contract to two years.

kantonaxtwoo

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
theres definitely ways to do this with out signing a new contract man. well depends on what type of user you are too though. if you are not planning to jailbreak and use 3rd party apps, unlock etc. than your only way of swapping to an iphone is if you sign a new contract. However, there are plenty of sites out there that teach you how to jailbreak and activate with out ever dealing with a new contract. that said, this puts you in jeopardy of losing out on your warranty but i think thats a given now a days with all the unlocking and jailbreaking that goes on with iphones. if you do by a new iphone and want to go with the jailbreaking way, go to hackthatphone.com and it will teach you step by step how to do this.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan

If you are going to add the data package then just take the iPhone home and activate it thru iTunes. It will deactivate the RAZR and activate the iPhone. You will be locked into a new 2 year contract from the date you activate it.

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
I agree with the last poster. I see no reason why you shouldn't just purchase the iPhone and activate it as an existing AT&T customer. Your number will be swapped over to the new SIM and phone, and you can use the SIM from your iPhone in your crappy razr when you are working in the yard or whatever and you don't want to risk losing/dropping your iPhone.

But NO, you cannot take the Razr SIM card and put it in the iPhone and have it work unless you unlock it.

//edit - I see the reason now. If you want to avoid signing up for 2 years, you'll have to unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.