Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:28 PM   #1
stevento
macrumors 6502

Questions on Eclipse

1 . How do i make it run in other languages than Java? is it possible to download an "expansion pack" if you will to get it to run in C# Python and others?

2. Can I get it to run in different versions of languages?
Right now my Eclipse runs in 1.4 which is horridly outdated in my opinion. I want to download and install 1.6 and then have eclipse run in that.

3. Is there a such thing as eclipse for web programming? like JavaScript and PHP.

4. when i'm in SSH at some other site can I make eclipse run from a workspace on that othersite? I ask this because I cant figure out how to copy from ssh location to my own computer.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:59 AM   #2
stevento
macrumors 6502

also this has nothing to do with eclipse but how do you, in terminal, change directory into a flash usb drive?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:02 PM   #3
jeremy.king
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevento View Post
1 . How do i make it run in other languages than Java? is it possible to download an "expansion pack" if you will to get it to run in C# Python and others?
In Eclipse, they are known as plugins http://www.eclipseplugincentral.com/ is a good starting point. EasyEclipse offers prebuilt Eclipse distributions for various purposes.

Quote:
2. Can I get it to run in different versions of languages?
Right now my Eclipse runs in 1.4 which is horridly outdated in my opinion. I want to download and install 1.6 and then have eclipse run in that.
To run with, or develop with? Yes is the answer to both. How depends on your answer.

Quote:
3. Is there a such thing as eclipse for web programming? like JavaScript and PHP.
Eclipse is an IDE, if you want web development specific views and perspectives check out WTP or MyEclipseIDE, amongst others...
Quote:
4. when i'm in SSH at some other site can I make eclipse run from a workspace on that othersite? I ask this because I cant figure out how to copy from ssh location to my own computer.
You can mount an SSH volume using a variety of ways - see MacFUSE and sshfs and work directly from the mounted share. Alternatively, work locally and deploy to your server using an SFTP client such as Fugu or Filezilla.

Quote:
also this has nothing to do with eclipse but how do you, in terminal, change directory into a flash usb drive?
It should have mounted in /Volumes, so just
Code:
cd /Volumes/NameOfYourDrive
jeremy.king is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:48 PM   #4
stevento
macrumors 6502

thanks. i'm a computer science undergrad and i want my homework to run in at least java 1.5
java 1.4 doesn't even have for each

here's another question, if i'm on a macbook and my brother is on his macbook er connect them over the bluetooth function, could i then change directory ino his computer?
how do i copy from one location in terminal to another?
that'd be fun because then i could mess with him and he'd have no idea. lol

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming