Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
1 . How do i make it run in other languages than Java? is it possible to download an "expansion pack" if you will to get it to run in C# Python and others?

2. Can I get it to run in different versions of languages?
Right now my Eclipse runs in 1.4 which is horridly outdated in my opinion. I want to download and install 1.6 and then have eclipse run in that.

3. Is there a such thing as eclipse for web programming? like JavaScript and PHP.

4. when i'm in SSH at some other site can I make eclipse run from a workspace on that othersite? I ask this because I cant figure out how to copy from ssh location to my own computer.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
also this has nothing to do with eclipse but how do you, in terminal, change directory into a flash usb drive?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
1 . How do i make it run in other languages than Java? is it possible to download an "expansion pack" if you will to get it to run in C# Python and others?
In Eclipse, they are known as plugins http://www.eclipseplugincentral.com/ is a good starting point. EasyEclipse offers prebuilt Eclipse distributions for various purposes.

2. Can I get it to run in different versions of languages?
Right now my Eclipse runs in 1.4 which is horridly outdated in my opinion. I want to download and install 1.6 and then have eclipse run in that.

To run with, or develop with? Yes is the answer to both. How depends on your answer.

3. Is there a such thing as eclipse for web programming? like JavaScript and PHP.
Eclipse is an IDE, if you want web development specific views and perspectives check out WTP or MyEclipseIDE, amongst others...
4. when i'm in SSH at some other site can I make eclipse run from a workspace on that othersite? I ask this because I cant figure out how to copy from ssh location to my own computer.

You can mount an SSH volume using a variety of ways - see MacFUSE and sshfs and work directly from the mounted share. Alternatively, work locally and deploy to your server using an SFTP client such as Fugu or Filezilla.

also this has nothing to do with eclipse but how do you, in terminal, change directory into a flash usb drive?

It should have mounted in /Volumes, so just
Code:
cd /Volumes/NameOfYourDrive

stevento

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
thanks. i'm a computer science undergrad and i want my homework to run in at least java 1.5
java 1.4 doesn't even have for each

here's another question, if i'm on a macbook and my brother is on his macbook er connect them over the bluetooth function, could i then change directory ino his computer?
how do i copy from one location in terminal to another?
that'd be fun because then i could mess with him and he'd have no idea. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.