Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Now I'll quickly run through my set up to help you get an idea what's going on.

I have an airport extreme with a 500 gig hard drive on it.

A Power book laptop with osx 10.4 latest version.

Now i've got all my music, photos, movies on my external hard drive and it has all been streaming very well no problems. I have a 150 gig Apple TV and has been syncing with no problems movies been working well music and the photo's.

Now here is where the problem is happening I've purchased some TV shows on the Apple TV and downloaded them onto the apple TV. Had a look at my laptop and could not work out why the hard drive space was going down and noticed that the apple tv had synced them back to my laptop.

Is there a way to only have apple tv purchases just on the Apple TV and can i transfer the ones now on my laptop back onto my apple TV.

If not what's the point of having a big hard drive on the Apple TV?

Thanks in advance

snapper07

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I did/have and for some reason it had been set to sync but now i want it to stop doing that but if i uncheck this option it say's it will now wipe the tv shows off the apple tv which kind of messes things up as i want to keep tv show on apple tv!

any suggestions?

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Ok. Make sure everything you eventually want on your Apple TV lives on your Mac.
Then check "Custom Sync" in the summary tab.
Select the things you want to live on your Apple TV.
Sync.
If you want to remove the media from your Mac, remove the media but not its entry in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.