Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:56 PM   #1
brinycbri
macrumors 6502a

Email - "This message has no content" huh?

Sometimes when ATT's edge is just plane cr@ppy, the emails on my pop3 server doesn't download the body of the email so it shows "this message has no content."

THe issue is that no matter what, i cant get to read the body of the email, it just shows that error even when i try to recheck email...anyone experience this?
brinycbri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 06:09 PM   #2
nickspohn
macrumors 68040

try restarting your phone when it happens
nickspohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
ikare
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to ikare Send a message via Yahoo to ikare
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinycbri View Post
Sometimes when ATT's edge is just plane cr@ppy, the emails on my pop3 server doesn't download the body of the email so it shows "this message has no content."

THe issue is that no matter what, i cant get to read the body of the email, it just shows that error even when i try to recheck email...anyone experience this?
This also happens to me, and I have hotmai, I've tried a hard reset and it does not work, I also hate that you can't get to your junk mail folder, I guess some emails are just not readable?
ikare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Fatum
macrumors member

Hi

Maybe this helps you out. Credits to Lawrence Finch, Apple Discussions.

Message bodies are not downloaded until you open the folder containing the message. If you have a POP3 account it is possible that the message has been downloaded and deleted from the server by another mail program running on a home or office computer, so the message is gone by the time you are ready to read it. If you have a POP3 account you should make sure that any other computers that access your mail are off or at least have automatic email retrieval disabled.

If you have an Exchange account there really IS an issue. When you set up an Exchange account on the iPhone it gets its settings from the Outlook client on your computer. In some cases this setting doesn't work right on the iPhone. So if you have this problem AND your mail server is Exchange do not set up the iPhone as an Exchange client. Instead, create the account on the iPhone as an IMAP account.

If a message is very larger (probably over 1 MB or so) the iPhone won't download it. This could be why it happens with only some messages.

Finally, if you have it set up as an IMAP account and it still happens you are very unusual, as just about everyone who has reported this problem is using either Exchange or POP3. (Unless it happens on very large messages only).

Regards
Fatum

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone