Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:33 PM   #1
mac-user-newbie
macrumors newbie

EXTREME LAG MacBook PRO!!!

Hi everyone... I desperately need help here!!!

My macbook is only less than a year old, I can't remember the specs of it but I am sure it is pretty much the latest and most powerful Macbook Pro we can find in the market right now...

Unfortunately, I have no idea why is it so lag while i'm using programs. Especially working on Microsoft powerpoint and microsoft word programmes. I am using the Mac OS, so it can't be a windows programme.

I am currently compiling a project due next week and I'm transferring and sizing pictures previously compiled on a word document (it wasn't lag that time). But right now, it lags so bad that evertime i size my image or copy the image into a word document, it lags very badly and the spinning rainbows occur everytime. I even have to resize the image twice just to get the desired size.

the lag happens whenever I insert something new into the document, but not when I'm typing.

I have no idea what is happenning, my HD space is 30G of free space, 70G in use. I also checked for background programmes but there is no problem about my memory usage.

So why is it lag? if its not HD space and memory space, my OS is up-to-date but why lag! i need to work fast!!!! =( help!!
mac-user-newbie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:49 PM   #2
klymr
macrumors 65816

Go to the Applications folder, locate and open the Utilities folder, then open the Disc Utility app. Next, click the icon for the hard drive for the computer and click verify disc permissions. If there is something wrong, click repair permissions. See if that helps.
klymr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 07:56 PM   #3
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Hmm

How much ram do you have?
tdhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:14 PM   #4
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Does this happens only with the Office apps?

How much RAM? What version of OS?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:21 PM   #5
TimJim
macrumors 6502a

Go to About this Mac and see how much RAM you have. If you don't have much, applications in Office will probably be really slow.
TimJim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 08:34 PM   #6
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
I believe the MBP that had a 100gig stock hard drive only had 512mb of RAM.

If you're compiling something in the background and using memory hogging apps, well...
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:59 PM   #7
mac-user-newbie
macrumors newbie

I have a 100G HD with 1G 644hz of ram...

I wouldn't think i have a lack of ram problem... currently it hogs office apps... had problems with powerpoint when I was transfering photos on to it through word, it couldn't verify the photo file and said something about too much applications are open and there is not enough memory...

thanks klymr, i will try to see if that works... but i'm still lagging as of now =( please help me someone!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:29 PM   #8
mac-user-newbie
macrumors newbie

I have just done the verify disc permission and clicked repair permission anyway... but it doesn't seem to be solving the problem... it still lags =(

I have checked my activity monitor and found out that word process is eating up 75.55MB of my Real memory... is that alot? because it certainly seems alot more than other applications are using... That is how much memory it is eating when I only am using one file of my microsoft word...

My word file size is 35.1mb only! =(
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:54 PM   #9
WorldIRC
macrumors 6502

Go into Utilities / Activity Monitor. I noticed that the Microsoft AU Demon for Office 2004 (POWER PC - Rosetta) was still on my system and runing. If you kill that process your computer should fly...at least for me that solved it!
WorldIRC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:55 PM   #10
eXan
macrumors 601

Send a message via ICQ to eXan Send a message via AIM to eXan Send a message via Skype™ to eXan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user-newbie View Post
I have just done the verify disc permission and clicked repair permission anyway... but it doesn't seem to be solving the problem... it still lags =(

I have checked my activity monitor and found out that word process is eating up 75.55MB of my Real memory... is that alot? because it certainly seems alot more than other applications are using... That is how much memory it is eating when I only am using one file of my microsoft word...

My word file size is 35.1mb only! =(
If you're using Office 2004 or earlier its ok for it to lag, because it runs under emulation on Intel Macs.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:27 AM   #11
mac-user-newbie
macrumors newbie

i've closed the microsoft daemon but it still lags... thanks for helping anyway =)
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Nick T.
macrumors regular

mac-user-newbie - - When you are finished using a program do you click the red button to close the program or do you press command+Q to quit the program?

My #1 son, who is at university, tells me that he encounters many Mac users who use the red button method, not realizing that the program remains memory resident.

Quiting instead of closing may solve you slowdown problem.

good luck!
Nick T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:43 PM   #13
WorldIRC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac-user-newbie View Post
i've closed the microsoft daemon but it still lags... thanks for helping anyway =)
Sorry it didn't work. That stupid program slowed this thing right down. I have Office 2008 now though so maybe I should just dump 2004 altogether!
WorldIRC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X