Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2008
Ok, after the safari update, i've been having some problems.

My main one is my dock just freezes. I can't switch spaces, i can't "killall Dock" i can't relaunch finder either.

If i try to restart, nothing will happen. My computer will just freeze.

What should i do? Should i just try a system restore?

All your help is greatly appreceated!!

davidwarren

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
funny you mention that, I couldn't get my MB to restart to install the update. Each time I tried either from the apple menu, or from the SU prompt, everything would leave the screen like it was going to restart, then just pop back up like nothing happened. I had to do a hard power down, then restart. Not sure if it is related....

BlackMax

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2007
North Carolina
Ok, after the safari update, i've been having some problems.

My main one is my dock just freezes. I can't switch spaces, i can't "killall Dock" i can't relaunch finder either.

If i try to restart, nothing will happen. My computer will just freeze.

What should i do? Should i just try a system restore?

All your help is greatly appreceated!!

I upgraded Safari about an hour and a half ago and noticed the exact same thing!!! I was using iTunes and went to minimize it and it wouldn't move. Then I tried to go down to my dock and open FireFox and the dock would not come up. Finally, I went to Finder, then Applications and launched Firefox from there. A little later I rebooted and everything has been fine since, but that was a little weird.

Perhaps the Safari update was a bit dodgy?

Charliekid21

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
I upgraded Safari about an hour and a half ago and noticed the exact same thing!!! I was using iTunes and went to minimize it and it wouldn't move. Then I tried to go down to my dock and open FireFox and the dock would not come up. Finally, I went to Finder, then Applications and launched Firefox from there. A little later I rebooted and everything has been fine since, but that was a little weird.

Perhaps the Safari update was a bit dodgy?

yeah i got that too and when i shut down my computer for running slow the damn hard drive doesnt work now!!! what should i do plz help!

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
This may be an over reactive windows solution but if blow comes to blow; try an Archive and Install so you can save your settings. You can always delete the previous installation folder at a later time. This would be a last ditch solution hopefully others will come up with less gruesome measures.
Good luck.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
are you (having problem) all on 10.5? Im getting worried about these updates... Since I don't use it very much anyway, maybe I should just skip the updates?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
how could i archive and install and would it keep all of my data?

Yup, everything in the Home folder will remain in tack.. It'll only replace the corrupted system files. Just make sure you actually click the button that says Archive and Install after you boot from the System Recovery/Leopard DVD

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Yup, everything in the Home folder will remain in tack.. It'll only replace the corrupted system files. Just make sure you actually click the button that says Archive and Install after you boot from the System Recovery/Leopard DVD

Yes, and make sure that you also have the most important files backed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.