Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have my new Alum Imac about a month, and I love it. Today I put the machine to sleep before I left for work, but had to go behind it to get something. I brushed against the side of the case and heard a bit of static electricity, and the machine woke up. No problems, everything's fine, but it woke up. Is this normal?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
You probably disturbed the keyboard or mouse accidentally, which will usually (but not always) cause the Mac to wake up. As for the static electricity, I have no idea what happened, but I wouldn't worry about it if your Mac appears to be working normally.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I have heard of Macs (and PCs) waking up when someone turns on a microwave or plugs in a hair dryer due to noise in the power lines, so I would suspect that a static discharge would also be capable of waking it up.

Talk about a light sleeper...

joegomolski

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2006
So CA
As a caution, we have no carpet in our house, no carpet no static electricity. We built our home as a shire to Apple.

When we had carpet, I tried to remember to touch something metal that is plugged in, to ground myself before touching my Mac.

Frequent discharges of static electricity into any delicate electronic device, has seemed to me to be a bad idea.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
As a caution, we have no carpet in our house, no carpet no static electricity. We built our home as a shire to Apple.

When we had carpet, I tried to remember to touch something metal that is plugged in, to ground myself before touching my Mac.

Frequent discharges of static electricity into any delicate electronic device, has seemed to me to be a bad idea.

True, but one would think that with the case closed and intact that there would be no danger of damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.