Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cstatham

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
I have five Macs, G4's and G5's, running OSX 10.4.11.

Five graphic designers, who back up their work on a Mac XServer 10.4.11 Build(8s2169)
Permissions on designers are set to read/write for everyone.

Designer A backs up his job to the XServer, then Designer B needs to edit it, so she attempts to transfer it from the XServer.

Permission denied for only some of the files, not all.

I guess I need some guidance on the proper way to network these Macs. Do I create a group? So far, they have to log on to each other as "Guests" and can utilize the Public>Drop Box directory.

Thank you for any insights...

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
You need to make a group, and you need to set up ACL's for that shared folder. It will be full read write, no matter what you set up elsewhere... ACL's override all.
ACL is god.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Les Kern + 1

ACL is the way to go. In latter Tiger Server (> 10.4.6), and Leopard Server is really is the easiest and best way to determine permissions.
The Tiger clients don't really "see" ACL's in their Finder-Get Info-panel, so that can cause some confusion if they want to edit the permissions themselves from the client, but that rarely is the case. Usually the Systems Administrator regulates all permissions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.