Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
Looking for a new PDA (replace a Palm) combined with MP3 player and Pix viewer (not too much video). iPod Touch looks like it might work for that - any advice? Would be my 1st iPod.....

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
first rule of thumb dont call it an iTouch its an iPod Touch :p

well since you haven't yet bought it you will be getting it with the email, maps, weather, mail and stocks which could help fill your needs.

if you jailbreak it well that opens it up to a whole new world for ya lol If the default apps are not enough a simple jailbreak will open up to a new world of apps which will expand it for you more.

only thing you need to look at is the wifi, you can only access things like getting new mail, checkin weather, using maps, checking stock .......... basically anythign involving online you will need to be in a hotspot with free wifi or near a network you know u can connect to.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I'm getting to the point where I may actually hunt down and strangle the next person to moan about it being referred to as an iTouch. Let it go, it really doesn't matter!

As for using one as a PDA - I have mine jailbroken and it makes a perfect PDA as far as I'm concerned. Does pretty much what a palm will do and much more. Plus its nowhere near as aggravating as a windows mobile device :)

krjohnson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2008
iPod Touch apps

OK - sounds pretty good - thanks. Is there a place where I can see / read a list of apps available after jailbreak?

Renator

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Looking for a new PDA (replace a Palm) combined with MP3 player and Pix viewer (not too much video). iPod Touch looks like it might work for that - any advice? Would be my 1st iPod.....

Just after the update in January, I bought a 16gig iPod Touch. I am using it to replace a Palm T/X. I'd been a Palm user for years. Got one of the first Palm Pilots.

Since beginning to use my IPT, I've not looked back. It does everything I need it to do without jailbreaking.

There are only a few things I do miss, but I've learned to work around them. I wish the device had a speaker so the alarm would be louder. I'd like to be able to carry documents with me (I'm a writer). This will probably be possible now that the SDK has been released.

Other than these minor issues, I'm absolutely convinced it is one of the best and most versatile devices ever.

Jenheta

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
OK - sounds pretty good - thanks. Is there a place where I can see / read a list of apps available after jailbreak?

I was questioning myself weeks ago about using the Touch as a PDA.

What I did not know at that time is that when you jailbreak your gadget you get an "Installer" button which collects all sort of third party software from different sources. As an example, check it http://www.modmyifone.com/
It is another universe, literally.

Regarding the actual use as a PDA, yes, you can use it and go much beyond your needs. What it is not yet possible (but it might soon be) is to use an offline tiddlywiki (which is where I drop all notes of my life).

Good luck !

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
You kids are too sensitive about iTouch. You knew exactly what the OP was talking about. The Touch (I have one) is as much an iNternet device as it is an iPod. Given Mail and all the other networking related apps you could easily call it the InTouch. iTouch is an easy to understand abbreviation for iPod Touch. It makes perfect sense to see why people naturally drift to that name. If you're suffering the giddy reaction and embarassment to the thought of touching yourself then you need to grow up. If you're offended thinking it means It Ouch, then you still need to grow up. ;)

To the OP; A new Touch makes a perfect PDA. Just be warned that if you see ones out there $20 less that most, they will need to be updated with a $20 apps pack. I know Target sells $279 and $299 8gb Touches right next to each other with only a little hint why one is cheaper.

4D

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I'm getting to the point where I may actually hunt down and strangle the next person to moan about it being referred to as an iTouch. Let it go, it really doesn't matter!

I think I'm going to send the diehards off the deep-end and call it an IFeel from now on. :p

Mike

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I use mine as a PDA all the time. I've got all my contacts, appointments and notes on it, as well as my pics, music and movies. Pretty much all you need as far as I'm concerned. It also syncs seamlessly with your computer, which makes backup very nice.

When I'm travelling, it provides me with entertainment for hours on end. In the morning, I'll download a few pages from the local newspaper off the internet, and read them on the bus on the way to work.

Don't forget, with the new SDK apps coming out in June, it's just going to get even better!! I love the feel and look of the touch. It fits nicely into my pocket, and half the time I don't even notice it's there. The screen is great and the apps are simple and fun to use.

IMHO, you don't need to jailbreak it to make it an effective PDA, but some people do anyway.

If you get one, have fun!!

ansalmo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2005
My advice is to just consider what features you use most on your current PDA. For me the most important feature was calendaring, and the most important detail of that was notifications of meetings. Unfortunately the Touch didn't make the grade for me - the built-in piezo buzzer is just too faint to hear when I have the device in a belt holster in an office environment. It also doesn't have a vibrate function, so I couldn't fall back to that. I've since replaced the Touch with an iPhone, and am much happier.

Both of them have relatively limited calendaring capabilities - for example you can't set up a meeting to repeat on specific days of the month, e.g. the 2nd Tuesday of every month. Thankfully, you can do this in iCal and sync the meeting to the device and it works fine.

I've also seen complaints about the lack of Bluetooth for those who like to use external keyboards with their PDAs.

If those things don't matter to you, you're good to go!

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I use mine as a PDA all the time. I've got all my contacts, appointments and notes on it, as well as my pics, music and movies. Pretty much all you need as far as I'm concerned. It also syncs seamlessly with your computer, which makes backup very nice.

When I'm travelling, it provides me with entertainment for hours on end. In the morning, I'll download a few pages from the local newspaper off the internet, and read them on the bus on the way to work.

Don't forget, with the new SDK apps coming out in June, it's just going to get even better!! I love the feel and look of the touch. It fits nicely into my pocket, and half the time I don't even notice it's there. The screen is great and the apps are simple and fun to use.

IMHO, you don't need to jailbreak it to make it an effective PDA, but some people do anyway.

If you get one, have fun!!

I use mine the same. It does everything I need as far as a PDA and more. You can't go wrong with an iPoke.:D

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

imaketouchtheme said:
wait, its not an iTouch?

wait, it's not an iNano or an iClassic or an iShuffle....

NO!

And go here:

iPodTouchFans

either I ripped that for my sig, or you quoted me :b
but as for an ifeel, whatever, as long as it isnt that other name.
op: the touch is awesome as a PDA

jhsfosho

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Houston, TX
I'm want to get one to use as a PDA, and also a remote for listening to music off of my computer for DJing at parties with Remote Buddy and ajax.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
iTouch as in the touchscreen software solution? Been going years that and it's pretty useful.

Unless you meant iPod Touch.

<beaten to death> well it can be used as a PDA. You can enter events and all other things like that, no official word processing app. Reminds me of PDA's before Pocket PC took off.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

itouch is also a logitech keyboard. Go figure. So I am sorry, I cant help you with your keyboard :D

yoyo5280

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Melbourne, Australia & Bay Area
It would work for me, to store my school work and stuff into the calendar and check weather and email anywhere there is wifi...if you wana do more business stuff then it may work in June when the new software comes out. Be prepared to pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.