Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2008, 08:32 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

April 18, 1985: Court Says Apple Gave Permission for Copying

Category: History
Link: April 18, 1985: Court Says Apple Gave Permission for Copying
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:28 AM   #2
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

John Scully later said that this contract (literally, one page) was the stupidest decision he'd made at Apple. The untold part of this story was that Microsoft had Apple over a barrel. Allegedly, Bill Gates threatened to stop development of Microsoft software for the Mac unless Apple licensed elements of the Mac OS to them.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:31 AM   #3
stagi
macrumors 65816

that sucks
stagi is offline   0
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:33 PM   #4
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Another one of those gr8 "what ifs...."

What if Microsoft never was allowed to make "Windows".
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:11 PM   #5
RacerX
macrumors 65832

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Allegedly, Bill Gates threatened to stop development of Microsoft software for the Mac unless Apple licensed elements of the Mac OS to them.
It wasn't just any Microsoft software... we are talking about Excel and the fact that Microsoft released the Mac version before the PC version. Apple wanted Excel because it made the Mac seem more like a business computer and had hoped for the same type of effect that VisiCalc had on the Apple II.
RacerX is offline   0
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:41 PM   #6
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
It wasn't just any Microsoft software... we are talking about Excel and the fact that Microsoft released the Mac version before the PC version. Apple wanted Excel because it made the Mac seem more like a business computer and had hoped for the same type of effect that VisiCalc had on the Apple II.
They'd already done Multiplan for the Mac, which was more-or-less the grandfather of Excel. I believe Word was also in development. The bottom line was that Apple didn't have a lot of developers for the Mac at the time, so they really needed Microsoft, and Microsoft knew it. Possibly if Apple had known how big PageMaker was going to be for them, Scully might have told Bill Gates to take a flying you-know-what at a rolling doughnut. When we think on what could have been...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:23 PM   #7
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
The real screw up in the deal was that there wasn't a sunset provision, or some type of renewal mechanism, some type of escape hatch. I know second guessing is a fools game, but when you have a good product you don't give it away.

"Only a fool looks at a hand pointing to the sky"
macnulty is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:25 AM   #8
Diode
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to Diode
Quote:
John Scully later said that this contract (literally, one page) was the stupidest decision he'd made at Apple. The untold part of this story was that Microsoft had Apple over a barrel. Allegedly, Bill Gates threatened to stop development of Microsoft software for the Mac unless Apple licensed elements of the Mac OS to them.
Welcome to the world of business. While I consider myself a apple fan boy I still have respect for M$ - Bill Gates didn't build it to the empire it is with pure luck.

I do feel that Apple would have turned out differently (for better or worse) if Steve wasn't forced out in the 80's. For one I don't think Apple would have taken such a huge down turn it did in the late 80's/early 90's. However I don't think we would have OS X (Since Steve went on to found NeXT which as most of us know is the base for X)

Last edited by Diode; Apr 19, 2008 at 04:14 PM.
Diode is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:56 AM   #9
DMann
Banned

Windoze

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnulty View Post
The real screw up in the deal was that there wasn't a sunset provision, or some type of renewal mechanism, some type of escape hatch. I know second guessing is a fools game, but when you have a good product you don't give it away.
All problems seem more easily avoided in hindsight - who would have thought back then that MS would have taken blatant pirating to that level? BG did attempt to convince Steve early on to license the Mac OS for PCs, which indeed may have competed well with Win '95. Steve, however, was not interested in allowing the user experience to be watered down by substandard hardware configurations, hence the seamless and superior integration of the Mac and Mac OS. Things now are beginning to evolve nicely for the Mac, in a gradual and steady sort of way, and the timing seems to be ideal. Copying an OS poorly and forcing it upon consumers does not appear to have the same cache as innovation and refinement do, especially in this decade.
DMann is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:58 AM   #10
cheeseadiddle
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post

Bill who?
Al Macbook late '08 2.0
iPod Classic Black 80 GB
2G iPhone 8GB x2
cheeseadiddle is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:02 AM   #11
DMann
Banned

Doh-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post

Then it would have been LINUX for the rest of us.......... or DOS pre-installed, for those who prefer dirty.
DMann is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:08 AM   #12
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
BG is a poker player who hates to loose.

This was competition. And he won big time. Apple needed Microsoft to develop software for the Mac. If memory serves, Apple even gave Microsoft Mac prototypes to help them develop the software.

As for JS, he was out of his depth and hurt Apple in many ways IMHO. This is but one example. The Newton comes to mind. Released before it was prime time by someone who did not truly understand the world of technology that was running a leading edge technology company. What a shame.

On a side note, he did fire SJ which was good in many ways and is probably why Apple is where it as today.
sushi is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:16 AM   #13
DMann
Banned

NeXt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
On a side note, he did fire SJ which was good in many ways and is probably why Apple is where it as today.
True that - if it weren't for NeXt, there would be no OS X, and no cutting edge OS to bring the Mac into the future.
DMann is offline   0
Old Apr 19, 2008, 10:47 AM   #14
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode View Post
Welcome to the world of business. While I consider myself a apple fan boy I still have respect for M$ - Bill Gates didn't build it to the empire it is with pure luck.

I do feel that Apple would have turned out differently (for better or worse) if Steve wasn't forced out in the 80's. For one I don't think Apple would have taken such a huge down turn it did in the late 80's/early 90's. However I don't think we would have OS X (Since Steve went on to found NeXT which as most of us no is the base for X)
Apple was actually going great guns during the late '80s and early '90s. That's the period when they built the largest Mac market share, over 10%. It was during the mid-90s when things began to go sour. Apple was experiencing its most profitable period to that time under John Scully.

As for luck, Bill Gates had plenty. It's true he never missed an opportunity to screw a rival or a partner, but it's also true that his company would not be where it is today without some very fortuitous events over which Microsoft had no control. Clones, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
BG is a poker player who hates to loose.

This was competition. And he won big time. Apple needed Microsoft to develop software for the Mac. If memory serves, Apple even gave Microsoft Mac prototypes to help them develop the software.

As for JS, he was out of his depth and hurt Apple in many ways IMHO. This is but one example. The Newton comes to mind. Released before it was prime time by someone who did not truly understand the world of technology that was running a leading edge technology company. What a shame.

Apple worked quite closely with Microsoft during the Mac prototype years. As the story goes, when Gates saw the earliest Macs he became very excited and convinced that this was the future, and that's approximately when he started the development of Windows.

I'm not a John Scully fan, but as I said above, I think he's underrated as a manager. When Jobs recruited him, he recognized that Scully had the ability to trim the ship, which was very much needed at Apple. I think Jobs put it that Apple needed "adult supervision." They really did get that from Scully, and Apple became very profitable during this period.

As a technologist though, you are right, he was over his head. This was the downside of John Scully. Of course, when we think about the dunderheads who followed him...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion