Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
My iPhone is acting kind of weird. Lately it seems to be missing calls. I have already had several instances where someone would tell me that they tried to call me several times. Sure enough, I take out my iPhone and it shows 5 missed calls. The thing never rang or vibrated once.

Is this a common problem or should I visit the Apple store? It's getting annoying.

zmit

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
i think the first thing to do would be check your silent switch (duh)

then check sound/ringtone settings

then if that all seems ok, then you either have to accept that you are simply not hearing it.... or actually sit it on the desk. call it. and stare at it to see if it does actually ring.

toddngina

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2008
We're you using edge at the time? Surfing the net, etc., will prevent the phone from receiving the call, and show as a missed call. That happens to me every once in a while.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I would also check how often it's checking email.

Another weird one: If you have a comment box open on a forum and you've started writing in it, it will keep your internet going after you exit safari. I learned that one night. :eek:

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I checked the switch. :)

I did find a possible common thread. I did some testing while using another cell phone and the iPhone placed on a countertop.When I place the iPhone in standby mode using the switch on the top, it won't ring when someone tries to call. When I take it out of standby mode, it will ring.

I checked the internet settings. I have e-mail checking every 15 minutes with no other pre-set activity that I can seen.

I don't know. This is my third iPhone and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

1. The first one was broke out of the box.

2. The second one worked great for several months but then the bottom third of the touch screen went out.

I treat the iPhone with respect. It's always in a carry case with a protective rubber skin. I was wondering if anyone else had these missed call issues. It didn't seem to happen nearly as much on the second phone I had.

f(A)t'kId

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
My wifes iPhone did this once. The only thing that fixed it was to turn the phone on and off again. Hasn't done it since.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
If you're online with EDGE the phone dont ring and theres no missed call indicator.
It goes straight to voicemail. If someone leaves a new voice message then he'd have a new visual voice message and not a missed call.
Maybe you dont hear it ring?

You were surfing via EDGE when this phenomenon appeared, right?

PACMAC

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2008
maybe its possessed...like the movie ''One Miss Call''..dont answer you voicemail..ahhhhh..joke

mine does that too dont ring but i can see if someone calls me i just reboot it then works..
do a restore..see if that works

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
If you're online with EDGE the phone dont ring and theres no missed call indicator.
It goes straight to voicemail. If someone leaves a new voice message then he'd have a new visual voice message and not a missed call.
Maybe you dont hear it ring?

That's weird. Mine rings just fine when I'm on edge. It rings and gives you the option to answer or ignore.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I checked the switch. :)

I did find a possible common thread. I did some testing while using another cell phone and the iPhone placed on a countertop.When I place the iPhone in standby mode using the switch on the top, it won't ring when someone tries to call. When I take it out of standby mode, it will ring.

I checked the internet settings. I have e-mail checking every 15 minutes with no other pre-set activity that I can seen.

I don't know. This is my third iPhone and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

1. The first one was broke out of the box.

2. The second one worked great for several months but then the bottom third of the touch screen went out.

I treat the iPhone with respect. It's always in a carry case with a protective rubber skin. I was wondering if anyone else had these missed call issues. It didn't seem to happen nearly as much on the second phone I had.

Try a reset. Hold the home and lock buttons for about 5 seconds until the screen goes black and the Apple logo shows up.

If that doesn't fix it, it sounds like time for iPhone number 4.

acaijr73

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
My iPhone is acting kind of weird. Lately it seems to be missing calls. I have already had several instances where someone would tell me that they tried to call me several times. Sure enough, I take out my iPhone and it shows 5 missed calls. The thing never rang or vibrated once.

Is this a common problem or should I visit the Apple store? It's getting annoying.

1st question would be is your iphone unlocked, jailbroken and running any 3rd party apps??

I live in a foreign country and i had an iphone unlocked and runnin 3rd party apps and i had a problem with my phone being in standby or active mode and it wouldnt ring but i would get a vmail notification sayn that i had a vmail and i would have full signal bar... i called my local Cell provider and they said it wasnt them so i started asking other people on my same network and they all said at some point they had the same problem and they had BB, Nokia, & iPhone.. The problem stopped after a while which confirmed my theory that it was the network not the phone...

Another thing ive come to notice is that once the iphone is unlocked and 3rd party apps are installed it does become sorta unstable but it all phone dependent because ive seen sum phones react different to the same 3rd party app.. Ive upgraded a few 3.9 BL iphones from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1 and 2 of which when the owners went to install 3rd party apps there sound would go but yet when i upgraded my 3.9 and 4.6 bl iphones as well as other 4.6 BL iphones and installed the same apps the sound would stay which lead me to believe that the older iphones for sum reason have sum strange lil bug or are just more unstable when upgraded to the newer firmwares and unlocked.....

I dunno if this helps u out but its just a few angles you may wanna look at...

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
The phone has never been jailbroken. Not my thing.

I tried a restore but it seems to have not worked.

I will try some more testing. Might be a temporary thing.

If not, I guess back to the Apple store it goes. :)

hondje

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2007
South Bend, IN
Mine does it too!

I also find it frustrating as well. It seems totally at random. I too will check and make sure he vibrate wasn't on. But still, I will miss a bunch of calls. We'll be driving down the road talking, then all I will get is the missed call tone. That is just one scenario when it happens. I just figured it is a phone. I have no way of reproducing the problem at the Apple Store. Perhaps if the problem continues, I will run some tests...I would love to get a new one...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
The page you're viewing thru edge might have finished loading thats why the call went thru.
The phone cant pull data thru EDGE and get a call at the same time. Kinda like having dialup, you cant be online and on the phone at the same time.

That's weird. Mine rings just fine when I'm on edge. It rings and gives you the option to answer or ignore.

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
Germany
The page you're viewing thru edge might have finished loading thats why the call went thru.
The phone cant pull data thru EDGE and get a call at the same time. Kinda like having dialup, you cant be online and on the phone at the same time.

Indeed.
That's EDGE in mode 1.
There's also mode 2 which allows an incoming call while being on EDGE.
T-Mobile in Germany does have mode 2.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008

You are right. I did a test with a page loading and it goes straight to voicemail while using EDGE. Then I tested it with the page fully loaded and it rings and gives the option to answer or decline.
Then I tested it loading a page while using wifi and it rings and gives the option to answer or decline.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
After more testing I have decided to return the phone. I've pretty much narrowed it down to the fact that the phone will not ring or vibrate while in standby.

If I call the phone while in standby, it will not ring. Then, when I push the button on the top to take it out of standby, it starts ringing. Really weird. I'm sure that's not supposed to happen. At this point, I cannot receive any calls while the phone is in standby. Got my appointment this evening at the Genius bar.

BTW, I did a full restore again and did not load my own setting. Same thing.

Looks like I'm on for phone number 4. :)

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Is the phone that you're using now a refurb or new? I would try to get it replaced with a new one. Good luck.
I asked about that the last time I exchanged phones. The Apple rep said he really didn't know. I would guess it is a referb though.

BullittMustang

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2008
I'm not possitive about this but I read that if your model number starts with MA it is new if it is FA it is a refurb. The model number can be checked from settings/general/about then down to model. Also a serial number begining with 5K MAY be a sign of a refurb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.