Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Macoltrane
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
iBook Charger MELTS away/almost causes fire--what is the issue here?

So I've been having issues lately with the charger, and I didn't really figure out what the problem was (whether it was logic board issue or cord as suggested by people on the forum)

Right now, the area of the cord attached closest to the plug literally melts away and smokes. The iBook subsequently shuts off after I pull the plug (the battery was still in tact so I don't know why the computer would shut off)

Would someone be able to explain what happened? Is this clearly a charger issue or is there something wrong with the laptop? Anyone have similar experiences/heard similar stories?

Thanks guys

EDIT--found a youtube video that shows exactly what happened with my charger except it was near the plug area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghqX5L7kzg8

Serious fire hazard...
Macoltrane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:52 PM   #2
krye
macrumors 68000
 
krye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: USA
I think a lot of flexing and bending of the wire over time can cause a break in the wire on the inside. This might short the ground wire/shielding to the positive voltage line, and subsequently lets the smoke out.

Replace the shorted out charger and pray that the defective one didn't short out your logicboard.
krye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:32 PM   #3
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601
 
OrangeSVTguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Is the "short" on the high voltage side or the low voltage side? You said the plug area but is that the one to the ibook(low voltage) or the one near where you plug into the wall(high voltage)?

Either way it is a short and could fry your computer and your logic board. Not good!
__________________
Browsing the forums from my Powerbook G4
OrangeSVTguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:50 PM   #4
DaBrain
macrumors 65816
 
DaBrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ERIE, PA
You have a short which may be at either end. It's causing way too much current to be drawn fro the power supply. Best bet is to replace the wall charger ASAP and hope that is your problem and not an internal short inside the laptop. In the interim I would not use that power supply at all.

Wait till you get a new/replacement, then monitor the heat at the area you describe. If you still have a short, it won't take long to heat up.

It's probably the power supply but no way else of knowing from where Im located--)) Good Luck and let us know what happened!
__________________
iMac 27" QC I-5 2.66 Ghz, iMAC 20 " CORE DUO, Black MacBook 2.2 Ghz, iPod touch, Mac-Mini 2.53 Ghz, iPad 32 Gig Wi-Fi
DaBrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:57 PM   #5
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
This is a problem that has been happening for at least 3 year or so with these magsafe adaptors.

Do a Google search and you will find out all you ever wanted to know about this problem. sometimes the plug that goes into the computer can melt and sometimes it's the cord closest to the adaptor.

Apple will replace the cord but then it's possible it can happen again once the new one gets used.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:08 PM   #6
CanadaRAM
macrumors G5
 
CanadaRAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
This is a problem that has been happening for at least 3 year or so with these magsafe adaptors.

Do a Google search and you will find out all you ever wanted to know about this problem. sometimes the plug that goes into the computer can melt and sometimes it's the cord closest to the adaptor.

Apple will replace the cord but then it's possible it can happen again once the new one gets used.
iBook. It's not a MagSafe.

OP: Your cord is damaged. DO NOT continue to use your adaptor until you get it replaced or repaired.
__________________
Expert
Ex = former, no longer. Spurt = a leak, esp. when caused by water pressure. Expert = a has-been drip under pressure.
CanadaRAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:10 PM   #7
hexonxonx
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaRAM View Post
iBook. It's not a MagSafe.

OP: Your cord is damaged. DO NOT continue to use your adaptor until you get it replaced or repaired.
Doesn't matter. It's a problem that affects all of these cords.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 03:16 PM   #8
vansouza
macrumors Demi-God
 
vansouza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Plains, MO USA Earth
Send a message via Yahoo to vansouza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macoltrane View Post
So I've been having issues lately with the charger, and I didn't really figure out what the problem was (whether it was logic board issue or cord as suggested by people on the forum)

Right now, the area of the cord attached closest to the plug literally melts away and smokes. The iBook subsequently shuts off after I pull the plug (the battery was still in tact so I don't know why the computer would shut off)

Would someone be able to explain what happened? Is this clearly a charger issue or is there something wrong with the laptop? Anyone have similar experiences/heard similar stories?

Thanks guys

EDIT--found a youtube video that shows exactly what happened with my charger except it was near the plug area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghqX5L7kzg8

Serious fire hazard...
OMG... Lord get a new charger already. Nothing lasts forever except death and taxes.
__________________
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body. C. S. Lewis
2013 iMac & MBPR
vansouza is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:13 PM   #9
techound1
macrumors 68000
 
techound1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansouza View Post
OMG... Lord get a new charger already. Nothing lasts forever except death and taxes.
And that charger will get you closer to the former.

You may need a new dc-in board as well.
techound1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Issue with Charger scpdavis MacBook Pro 0 Oct 26, 2013 02:11 AM
Nexus 7 :Melts down on Overheating steviewhy Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 10 Nov 12, 2012 07:51 PM
14" iBook G4 Battery / Charger Issue Rasmussen PowerPC Macs 3 Aug 20, 2012 12:13 PM
Charger issue Polekat MacBook Pro 3 Jul 18, 2012 11:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC