Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CNet reports that Apple has responded to the criticism of pushing Safari to all Windows users via Software Update.

The practice received some criticism since the "update" appeared for individuals who had never installed a previous version of Safari. Apple has reportedly revamped their Software Update to clearly distinguish "New Software" from "Updates":

154051-su.png

Image from Asa Dotzler
Safari now occupies a place in the "New Software" update, but continues to be offered to Windows iTunes users. Even still, Mozilla's Asa Dotzler believes Apple should not leave the software checked by default.

Article Link

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
The real question is that if you ignore Safari or another "new app" does the software update go away until there's a real update. Though I love Apple so much* that I have all their software on my windows side, so I guess I'll never know.

* this is a joke

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I have to agree with Asa. It's annoying and really just bad behaviour from Apple. If Microsoft was doing the same thing we'd be bashing them to oblivion.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I have to agree with Asa. It's annoying and really just bad behaviour from Apple. If Microsoft was doing the same thing we'd be bashing them to oblivion.

Very true, we would. Though it depends how this works... If it doesn't bother you "just" for new software its OK IMO.

nawk

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2002
Error

"Even still, Mozilla's Asa Dotzler believes Apple should not leave the software checked off by default."

You mean

"Even still, Mozilla's Asa Dotzler believes Apple should leave the software checked off by default."

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Its really just reduce the untrust-ness by 5%.

IDK, apple really need to understand how sensitive windows users are towards this type of act. Eventually, it will generate backlash, not to mention, if users just click through all the update, and don't know they have safari installed, they won't use it anyway, why bother?

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
There's a Software Update for Windows? If you're averse to Apple software, shouldn't you not have an app called Software Update by Apple? Is this news?

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
Adobe tries to sneak in Google Toolbar/Desktop every time I install Acrobat Reader on a system. This is the same thing... annoying.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
You mean

"Even still, Mozilla's Asa Dotzler believes Apple should leave the software checked off by default."

Thanks...the use of the word "off" there is what I think is leading to confusion, so I've attempted to clarify things by removing it from the sentence.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
There's a Software Update for Windows? If you're averse to Apple software, shouldn't you not have an app called Software Update by Apple? Is this news?

apple software update gets installed with iTunes/Quicktime, which a lot of windows users use.

i agree, apple shouldn't push safari through iTunes updates. i think apple's software is good enough that users will come to it. i've always felt that was apple's philosophy. this goes against it and cheapens the experience, imo. it is better that they at least put it in a separate box, but still....

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
I sent this in as a tip yesterday to Engadget, Gizmodo, AppleInsider, and MacRumors. I guess none of them thought it was credible. I even posted a screenshot on my Flickr account.

http://flickr.com/photos/dabrace1984/2420752721/

I discovered it yesterday as I was installing software updates to the programs on my Windows XP install that I have in VMware Fusion.

I used to send stuff. Not anymore though. Its just a waste of my time. It seems most of these sites just recycle the same story and don't take many new things for themselves.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
It doesn't bother me, nor do I think it's a crime, and here's why:
The only people who will download this, will be uneducated commoners who think that IE is the internet. They don't know what a browser is, so they don't know to go looking for an alternative.

The people who won't download it, are those people that have made an educated decision to go with the browser of their choice, for whatever reason. These people down get any new software from programs such as this, because they know the definition of software and how it relates to computers.

So if this is a "trick", than we are only tricking those users who are using a default browser, not by choice, but because they were tricked into using it in the first place, and think they have no other option. I see no reason why getting a few more people to *try* safari is bad, especially if it opens up to them the idea of different ways of getting to the internet. In fact I'd hazard a guess that they may end up with Firefox once they are educated on the idea of a browser.

And if they never use it... Well there is far more useless crap on those types of people's computers than Safari ;-)

The difference I see here between Apple and Microsoft, is that if Microsoft did it, they would be trying to retain and promote a browser majority. Apple on the other hand has a superior product (in my eyes), and is by far the underdog. Yes, there are advantages to being an Underdog in my mind.

Plus, how is this different than walking into your favorite store and seeing posters for things OTHER than what you intend to buy? Apple could always replace it with a little banner inside iTunes that promoted their products...

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Dear Mozilla representative,

I like good competition. I like seeing companies, organisations, individuals and so forth compete to make a better product that addresses the customers needs.

What I don't like, however, are whiners, whingers and complainers who think that their product is the born to dominate, that its everyone else's fault when they fail to grab more market-share.

For many year Mozilla gave us the Mac users the royal screw job (and still do), with the crap integration, to the crap use of native widgets, to the terrible performance. It has been pathetic on Windows, pathetic on Linux and pathetic on Mac OS X.

Maybe instead of whining over the fictional boogie man that you try and create over how Apple update displays new software - you get your A into G and make a product that will want to make me run it on my machine.

I've run Firefox 3.0 btw, and it is still atleast 3 years behind the quality I expect from a browser. I don't just want a browser, I want it properly integrated and making use of the features within my operating system. I'd also like it to realise that the world doesn't revolve around the US - is it too hard to include UK dictionary support?

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
It doesn't bother me, nor do I think it's a crime, and here's why:
The only people who will download this, will be uneducated commoners who think that IE is the internet. They don't know what a browser is, so they don't know to go looking for an alternative.

The people who won't download it, are those people that have made an educated decision to go with the browser of their choice, for whatever reason. These people down get any new software from programs such as this, because they know the definition of software and how it relates to computers.

To an extent I agree with this, although at the same time, if they are getting a new browser, it should almost certainly be Firefox, not Safari. And it's still in poor taste.

I think the default should be to show it, maybe even give a description or ad for it, but leave it unchecked.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Plus, how is this different than walking into your favorite store and seeing posters for things OTHER than what you intend to buy?

You mean how is it any different than going to my favorite store, finding something I like, going to the register to pay for it and when I get home seeing that in addition to the magazine and candy bar I purchased, the clerk threw in a bunch of pamphlets and flyers for stuff I wasn't interested in without asking me and now I just need to throw them in the garbage myself?

Yeah, you're right - no difference.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
You mean how is it any different than going to my favorite store, finding something I like, going to the register to pay for it and when I get home seeing that in addition to the magazine and candy bar I purchased, the clerk threw in a bunch of pamphlets and flyers for stuff I wasn't interested in without asking me and now I just need to throw them in the garbage myself?

Yeah, you're right - no difference.

Except this is worse, at least from a certain perspective (obviously pointless pamphlets are bad for the environment). Programs leave behind yucky crud, although I don't think Safari would be too bad compared to all the processes iTunes has running.

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
I wonder how many additional copies of Safari are running now because of this Microsoftian software push. 100k? 500k? Innocent mistake or calculated risk?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I've run Firefox 3.0 btw, and it is still atleast 3 years behind the quality I expect from a browser. I don't just want a browser, I want it properly integrated and making use of the features within my operating system.

What's wrong with it? You could argue the same about Safari and its lack of anti phishing.

I'd also like it to realise that the world doesn't revolve around the US - is it too hard to include UK dictionary support?

See https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:3 for all Language packs and dictionaries. Direct link to the UK dictionary.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I wonder how many additional copies of Safari are running now because of this Microsoftian software push. 100k? 500k? Innocent mistake or calculated risk?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't a calculated risk.

What's wrong with it? You could argue the same about Safari and its lack of anti phishing.

Firefox might be three years behind what you want...but it's still the most advanced browser out there. Are you guessing that in 3 years browsers will exist that do what you want? :D

dabrace1984

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Allentown, PA
The only thing that is missing is the option to never tell me about new software again.

When in "Apple Software Update," go to the "Edit" menu and select "Preferences." A dialog box titled "Apple Software Update Preferences" will appear. Select the radio button for "Never."

After that, if you want, you can delete the "Apple Software Update" link in the Windows "Start Menu."

Retired
May 16, 2006
Fortunately, in part due to years of using Windows, I've grown wary of the internet. If that were not so, I may see Safari's lack of phishing tools as a really big downside, its awful that such a security-touting company doesn't put this feature in.

tcoleman

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2007
Great White North
When in "Apple Software Update," go to the "Edit" menu and select "Preferences." A dialog box titled "Apple Software Update Preferences" will appear. Select the radio button for "Never."

After that, if you want, you can delete the "Apple Software Update" link in the Windows "Start Menu."

I think you misunderstood me. I said "The only thing that is missing is the option to never tell me about new software again." I still would like to see updates, but not new software. A "don't spam me" checkbox, if you will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.