Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:09 PM   #1
cups123
macrumors newbie

Can someone help me? I can't watch videos on my macbook

Okay, I'd really appreciate some help with this problem that I have - I can't view any videos or pics on some websites with my mac. If I go to youtube for example, I can't view any videos. I am completely computer illiterate and the only thing I can tell you is that this problem has gone on for some time...I installed quicktime player, and I think that worked for some time, then I tampered with the settings and now it doesnt work!!! Can someone help me? I really don't remember what I did but currently I have quicktime and whatever came with the laptop...please help!!
cups123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:12 PM   #2
jackiecanev2
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

not sure if it will help you with the youtube thing, but install perian. It will make video/audio playback incredibly easy and more versatile.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:21 PM   #3
karenflower
macrumors 6502a

Youtube uses Flash Player to play videos, you might need to install the latest version from here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
karenflower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:57 PM   #4
okatidubi
macrumors regular

you'll need to open safari with Rosetta. To enable it, go to your Macintosh HD > Applications > *right click on Safari > get info > tick "open using rosetta"

Once done, close all windows and quit safari; and start it up again. Once you've done that, you need to install shockwave flash. Once done, close all safari windows and quit safari; and start it up again. By now you should be able to view youtube videos.

*To right click, hold control + click
okatidubi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:01 AM   #5
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by okatidubi View Post
you'll need to open safari with Rosetta. To enable it, go to your Macintosh HD > Applications > *right click on Safari > get info > tick "open safari with rosetta"
Whoa, whoa, whoa... what? You certainly do not need Rosetta to watch Flash (YouTube) videos!

cups123, as mentioned by karenflower you should ensure that your Flash is up to date. I also suggest going to Safari > Preferences > Security and ensure that plug-ins are enabled.
Nermal is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:41 AM   #6
okatidubi
macrumors regular

oh... i thought you needed rosetta to download flash... my bad. :P
okatidubi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2009, 10:49 PM   #7
lilrdh
macrumors newbie

How do I view WMV video files on my macbook?

I recently got a macbook and I cannot view WMV files on my computer (ie. videos sent via e-mail) Please let me know if you can help (settings?)
lilrdh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2009, 01:01 AM   #8
angemon89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrdh View Post
I recently got a macbook and I cannot view WMV files on my computer (ie. videos sent via e-mail) Please let me know if you can help (settings?)
You need Flip 4 Mac. It adds Windows media components to quicktime.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 01:35 PM   #9
jiggskc
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to jiggskc Send a message via MSN to jiggskc Send a message via Yahoo to jiggskc Send a message via Skype™ to jiggskc
Lightbulb UNINSTALL & re-download FLASH for a fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenflower View Post
Youtube uses Flash Player to play videos, you might need to install the latest version from here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
Okay, i was having the same problem - my macbook was not allowing me to watch youtube videos in safari. It was somewhat frustrating for me , because i could watch them on my iPhone4, but could not view them on the macbook , which i plug into the HDTV to view movies and stuff in HD. I tried the Rosetta fix - and it doesn't work. I do have FLIP4Mac, and updated it, still did not work. I also use PERIAN, so there might be multiple combinations at work here. But it wasn't until i uninstalled FLASH PLAYER, FLASH DEBUGGER for Mac, and UNINSTALLER for FLASH and reinstalled FLASH while downloading the fresh copy in SAFARI that i was able to see the videos again. I also use
CLICK TO FLASH, just so you know.

I am happy to report that i can now watch videos on youtube while in SAFARI, and no longer have to switch to CHROME to watch youtube videos. Don't ask one of your ANDROID friends because they will just tell you that hates FLASH.
jiggskc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 11:58 PM   #10
zip90210
macrumors newbie

watch Youtube videos on Mac

I downloaded the Camino browser from caminobrowser.org and I can now see videos on my mac streaming from any site. You would think Safari would have resolved this issue three years later.
zip90210 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 10:54 PM   #11
samchn07
macrumors newbie

There might be a problem with the flash player or plugin you are using.
samchn07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook