Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
VGA is a video/resolution specification which simply put, defines a resolution of 640x 480. Blu-ray is a disk format. The two are not related. Can you clarify what you are asking?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Since playing BluRay requires a digital signal that is protected with devices that support HDCP, the simple answer is no.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have driven a 1680x1050 display with a VGA cable, so I imagine it could handle a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD 1920x1080p signal.

However, as Pressure noted, if the content is protected by HDCP (and it should be), since VGA does not support that standard, it will not display the signal at full-resolution (I believe it halves it to 960 x 540).

James Howlett

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2008
Abbotsford
I have driven a 1680x1050 display with a VGA cable, so I imagine it could handle a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD 1920x1080p signal.

However, as Pressure noted, if the content is protected by HDCP (and it should be), since VGA does not support that standard, it will not display the signal at full-resolution (I believe it halves it to 960 x 540).

I have used a vga connection with my xbox 360 and HD DVD drive, it shows 1080p fine. i dunno about blu ray though.

czachorski

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
I have used a vga connection with my xbox 360 and HD DVD drive, it shows 1080p fine. i dunno about blu ray though.

I believe that VGA is capable of transmitting 1080p, but as said earlier, it will not transmit Blue-Ray due to the HDCP limitations. So for example, if you had an external blue-ray player hooked to a Mac via and HDCP compliant cable, and the had the mini-DVI output on the Mac go to a TV via and VGA adapter as a mirrored display, I believe it would transmit the 1080p. No? Or does HDCP have a way to block such a transmission too?

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
So for example, if you had an external blue-ray player hooked to a Mac via and HDCP compliant cable, and the had the mini-DVI output on the Mac go to a TV via a VGA adapter as a mirrored display, I believe it would transmit the 1080p. No? Or does HDCP have a way to block such a transmission too?

HCDP requires every device in the chain of transmission to support it in order to transmit at "full quality". So once it hits the VGA adapter, the system would degrade the image quality by half.

The same would happen if you connected to a TV or monitor (like the ACD) that didn't support HDCP via DVI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.