Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BennyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I have recently purchased an Apple Airport Express and have successfully set up a wireless network, connecting AirTunes and my printer. However when reading through the manual (I know who reads the manual nowadays) i discovered something interesting. Chapter 3: Setting Up Your Airport Express, page 25, states the following,

"If you connect a USB printer or hard disk to your Airport Express, all of the computers on the network can print to the printer or share files on the hard disk."

The Apple website clearly indicates that sharing a Hard Disk through an Airport Express is not possible. Is my discovery a one of dodgy print of the manual or are other people seeing this as well? A possibility that Apple could be enabling AirDisk use on the Airport Express in the near future?

catachip

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Vancouver, British Columbia
I have recently purchased an Apple Airport Express and have successfully set up a wireless network, connecting AirTunes and my printer. However when reading through the manual (I know who reads the manual nowadays) i discovered something interesting. Chapter 3: Setting Up Your Airport Express, page 25, states the following,

"If you connect a USB printer or hard disk to your Airport Express, all of the computers on the network can print to the printer or share files on the hard disk."

The Apple website clearly indicates that sharing a Hard Disk through an Airport Express is not possible. Is my discovery a one of dodgy print of the manual or are other people seeing this as well? A possibility that Apple could be enabling AirDisk use on the Airport Express in the near future?

I'm guessing its a typo, but, it is entirely possible. Official Time Machine support for the Airport Extreme, and AirDisk support (and even Time Machine support) for the Airport Express is not out of the question. However, Apple may be trying to differentiate product lines in order to justify the higher price of the Airport Extreme.

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
Could it be true?

I am dithering on my decision to buy the AirPort Express. If this is true, the AirPort Express will be super-sweet!

Have you tried plugging in a USB disk to see what happens?

BennyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
I have tried plugging in a USB powered Hard Drive but nothing appeared on my computer or sharing areas so i presume i doesn't work. However i must say when i was downloading the firmware update for my Airport Express, the Airport Utility programme started to download the firmware update for Airport Extreme + Time Machine which is weird because i do not have an Airport Extreme only an Express. Hopefully in the near future Apple will update the Express with a AirDisk capabilities

ginger72

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
I have just purchased the N version of the Airport Express as well. I tried plugging in my USB 2.5" HD and it seems I would require an external power source, as the Airport Express does not seem to provide enough power for the HD (my MacBook does though). I also noticed that the Airport Utility (v5.3.1) does give me an option to manually setting up and share hard drive. But I wasn't able to test this due to the reasons I mentioned before.

Any of your findings regarding this would be extremely helpful.
Thanks,
G

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Maybe 10.5.3 will improve wireless backups with Time Machine and the AirPort Express N will have a firmware update to enable hard drive use.

ginger72

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
I have tried plugging in a USB powered Hard Drive but nothing appeared on my computer or sharing areas so i presume i doesn't work. However i must say when i was downloading the firmware update for my Airport Express, the Airport Utility programme started to download the firmware update for Airport Extreme + Time Machine which is weird because i do not have an Airport Extreme only an Express. Hopefully in the near future Apple will update the Express with a AirDisk capabilities

Have you tried to enable the HD sharing option in your Airport Utility?

mckyvlle

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2007
London, UK
I have just purchased the N version of the Airport Express as well. I tried plugging in my USB 2.5" HD and it seems I would require an external power source, as the Airport Express does not seem to provide enough power for the HD (my MacBook does though). I also noticed that the Airport Utility (v5.3.1) does give me an option to manually setting up and share hard drive. But I wasn't able to test this due to the reasons I mentioned before.

Any of your findings regarding this would be extremely helpful.
Thanks,
G

I plugged in a powered 3.5'' USB hdd, but AirPort Utility 5.3.1's "Disks" button remains grayed-out. Do you mean you can access the "Disks" page in AirPort Utility?

BennyB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
Have you tried to enable the HD sharing option in your Airport Utility?

I have plugged in a powered hard drive in to the Airport Express as mentioned before. However i have looked at every option possible in my Airport Utility (v5.3.1) which i believe is the most up to date version out and I have had no luck in locating a HD sharing option. If there is such an option where would it be located?

grant.west

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
I hooked up my Western Digital Elements Self Powered hard drive and nothing happened. Note though that after about 30 minutes the HD was very hot. Luckily it was not damaged. Turns out the whole time it was connected the drive was spinning at a good clip. It was making more noise than usual. (Normally it is silent, even when working). So, just a note of caution. If you are going to try it out, keep and eye on the HD.

Vyvyenne

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
What can I say you are all very lucky that airport express even works for you. I purchased a new Macbook and an export express just last month. Did everything as the manual says and yes it is connected I have the green light. But when I take the computer to another room no connection to the internet and as for my printer that as the yellow exclamation mark permanently. So the only way I get access to the internet is my unplugging airport express. As for printing I have to physically plug in the printer to the laptop. Who says wireless is the way forward!!!!! Anyone else with this problem. Or can anyone please point me in the right direction.

regards
Lesley Vyvyenne

gnordic

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Airport express not working in other room

I've found the antennas are pretty bad on these things, so you probly have some interference in the 2.4 ghz spectrum. Try using the 5 ghz spectrum if you can, or switching to wireless N. ALso, make sure your power is at 100%, not some other value such as 10%. These settings are in the Airport Admin utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.