Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:46 AM   #1
thetussinmonstr
macrumors member

apple wireless mighty mouse won't scroll down..

my wireless mouse (OEM Apple Mighty Mouse) mysteriously stopped scrolling down. like when i scroll down with the middle wheel/ball thing in a browser window, for example, it doesn't go down.. but it still goes up, left and right. can i safely take the thing apart and check for something that could possibly be causing this? any input appreciated.
thetussinmonstr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 05:28 AM   #2
macgruder
macrumors 6502

Search mighty plus scroll on this site.
macgruder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 05:34 AM   #3
Mr.Noisy
macrumors 65816

or google it, common problem with the MM (Don't take it apart)
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:48 AM   #4
numbersyx
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetussinmonstr View Post
my wireless mouse (OEM Apple Mighty Mouse) mysteriously stopped scrolling down. like when i scroll down with the middle wheel/ball thing in a browser window, for example, it doesn't go down.. but it still goes up, left and right. can i safely take the thing apart and check for something that could possibly be causing this? any input appreciated.
Just clean the ball. Turn mouse upside down. Get some cleaning fluid or alcohol and use a soft cloth dabbed with it and rub the ball allowing it to turn. That should get rid of the dirt. Do not take it apart.
numbersyx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:56 AM   #5
tersono
macrumors 68000

The one I use at work does that every now and then. So far all I've needed to do is unplug it from the computer, turn it upside-down and run it up and down against my trouser leg or sleeve a few times.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:12 PM   #6
Montie Da Champ
macrumors member

I used to put a blank piece of white paper on the desk, turn the might mouse upside down and then vigorously rub the ball on the white paper while pushing down with a lot of force. you can see all the dirt that comes out with this method and then it should work fine.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:29 PM   #7
tangledweb16
macrumors regular

Get a Q-Tip and but some alcohol on it (a very small amount) and then rub that all over the scroll clit-I mean ball.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:54 PM   #8
thetussinmonstr
macrumors member

it worked!!

you guys are awesome.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 06:54 PM   #9
thetussinmonstr
macrumors member

just felt like posting this up.. ever since i rubbed the top of the mouse to get the dirt out, the scroll ball started working again but like every other left click brings up the dash board. wierd. oh well.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 06:30 AM   #10
DrWhiteFPS
macrumors member

that's because you're clicking in the CENTER of the mouse. If you go to the apple, click preferences, then click mouse - it brings up the buttons on your mouse. For example, if I press the mouse on the left it works as a regular mouse, center brings up the dashboard, right i set to be like "right clicking" in windows (brings up a menu), and finally squeezing shows all of the open windows.

BTW - I had the scroll problem and I cleaned the ball and it really works well!
DrWhiteFPS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:39 AM   #11
pixiemae
macrumors newbie

I received this valuable advice from an Apple store employee:
Take a hand wipe, fold it in half, turn the mouse upside down and run the ball over the cloth. 5-6 times to the left, right, up, toward you, away from you, clockwise, counter clockwise. Works every time!
pixiemae is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:24 PM   #12
Mr Badger
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Mr Badger
Take it apart and clean it...at your own risk of course!

I had the same problem but found that cleaning with cloths/alcohol etc. only worked for a short time. So I took the plunge and found a user site with detailed instructions on how to take the mouse apart. It worked for me. It was fiddly and the first step - removing the skirt - did feel destructive...and thus deeply uncomfortable, but didn't do it any lasting harm. I glued the skirt back on but it subsequently dropped off due to my poor mouse-supergluing-skills....so I left it off. Makes absolutely no difference to its functionality and doesn't spoil its appearance.

The mini rollers were totally clogged up but with a little methylated spirit it was as good as new. I highly recommend the take-it-apart mode of cleaning...as long as you are adept at taking small fiddly things apart and putting them back together again. If you're not confident avoid - if you are happy cleaning.

I can't find the original site I used but there are similar instructions at http://www.mightymouserepair.com/ Personally, I'd avoid the use of a scalpel in step one - a good strong finger nail is easier to control and far less likely veer out of control and sever a major artery!
Mr Badger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:56 PM   #13
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
yea just wet a cloth and rub it on the scroll ball.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:18 PM   #14
GaryO
macrumors newbie

scrolling Mighty mouse issue

New here so cheers to all.

Believe it or not I reset my mouse DC speed to max and instantly fixed
it along with slow opening finder windows/lists which I believe is a bug.

Shook my head afterwards but Iíll take it!
GaryO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2008, 11:28 PM   #15
descartes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montie Da Champ View Post
I used to put a blank piece of white paper on the desk, turn the might mouse upside down and then vigorously rub the ball on the white paper while pushing down with a lot of force. you can see all the dirt that comes out with this method and then it should work fine.
same method worked wonders for me.
descartes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2008, 11:24 AM   #16
geoffreak
macrumors 68020

This happens to me all the time. I just push down on the ball fairly hard and try and scroll down. It clears the dirt out and allows the mouse to start functioning properly within seconds.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:02 PM   #17
baseballer14
macrumors newbie

mighty mouse won't scroll down

Just wanted to say thank you for the advice on fixing the mouse not scrolling down. I dipped a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and rubbed the scroll ball with it. It was instantly fixed! Thank you!
baseballer14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:32 PM   #18
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

I have the same problem but with scrolling up. It's just dirt getting in there. I will do the alcohol swab thing, but I will also push down hard as hell and scroll up with it. That gets the ultra-stubborn crap out.

This is about the only thing I have against the Mighty Mouse. I would be all for some sort of small touchpad that would do scrolling if Apple could make it work right.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:35 PM   #19
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a

Clean Your Nipple

Sorry I couldn't resist
Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:54 AM   #20
Kennyboy7
macrumors newbie

Dsimantling and Cleaning your Wireless Bluetooth Mighty Mouse

I've written a guide on how to get your roller ball working again on a Wireless Bluetooth Mighty Mouse

http://www.kennyboy7.com/2010/08/dis...-for-cleaning/

Enjoy and hope this helps
Kennyboy7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals