Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Khryz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
All of a sudden, like throughout this past week I have been completely unable to shut down my Mac using the links on the screen. First if there's still any programs running it has so much trouble quitting them and fails the shutdown until I close them myself (never used to be like this). Then it'll shut down everything but only my background will show - no toolbar or dock and it won't shut down. The only way I shut it down is to hold the power button until it shuts off.

I'm sure people have had this problem? What's wrong? I bought my Macbook this past August.

And now the most recent issue is when I close the lid to put it to sleep and then open it to try and wake it back up .. my log in window for my password doesn't come up the screen just stays black. I'll shut the lid again to see if I open it one more time it'll be fine - but nothing .. when i open it back up it shuts to black again. So then I have to shut down the computer again with the power button.

Do I have a virus or something? I'm completely new to Macs this is my first one and have never had any trouble besides these two issues.

Any help or links would be very appreciated!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.