Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Hey guys!

So, I have a job interview at the gap tomorrow. I'm 16, I have some experience in being a stock associate and I'm a friendly guy.
I gave in my application and CV to the Gap last week, and they called me yesterday to see if I wanted to come in for an interview.

Seeing as how this could be my first "real job" (last one i worked for my family business), I'm coming to you guys for help.

What kind of questions should I expect, what are some things I should do, how can i prepare myself, ect. I really wanna' work there, so any tips would be great.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
Be polite.
Dress like you own the place.
Make eye contact.
Shake hands with everybody.
Be prepared with a resume.
Please, and thank you's GALORE.
:)

Be honest, even if it hurts.

Be prepared for scenario questions especially.

dizzlemizzle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
  • Probably for retail show that you are able to multi-task (handle multiple customers at once) and foresee problems in advance
  • Be and act friendly
  • Use peoples names when speaking to them. They introduce themselves, pay attention, remember the name, and use it whenever possible (especially at the end of the interview 'Thank you for your time, name!')
  • Act like you do job interviews all the time even if you haven't
  • Bring a resume even if you know they already have one
  • Show up ten minutes early
  • Admit your faults if they come up. (I know this is my first job but I feel I am ready for this responsibility)

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
What are your worst qualities? What can you improve on?

I hate those questions, so think of something beforehand.

mashny

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
In addition to all the good suggestions already given, I read a while back that many people fail to smile at interviews, which makes them seem unfriendly. Granted, you'll be a bit nervous, but--according to the article--smiling will make you seem more relaxed and will accentuate your warmth and friendliness, which is especially important in retail, where you'll be dealing with customers, and not sitting in some office. This is not to say that you should have a smile plastered on your face, but just be aware of what your interviewer is seeing when he or she is looking at you (the nonverbal communication stuff...).

Good luck!

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
It wont be anything very drastic. Its basic retail. they look and hire people like you 70% of the time. It wont be hard. just be nice, and have some style to your choice of dress. You will get the job. I can almost guarantee it.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Two common questions I found when I was job searching in retail a while back (almost a decade) and still the best answers I have come across.

"What do you think of the phrase the customer is always right?"
I don't think the customer is always right, but the customer should always be treated like customer.

"If you see an employee stealing what would you do?" (retail specific)
Call HQ and file a complaint. You never know who else might be in on it.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Be polite.
Dress like you own the place.
Make eye contact.
Shake hands with everybody.
Be prepared with a resume.
Please, and thank you's GALORE.
:)

Be honest, even if it hurts.

Be prepared for scenario questions especially.

What he said. My GF is a manager for Banana Republic and basically they are going to hire you when they call unless you blow the interview. They like what they see on paper, they just want to see if you have a brain in you and can communicate. Its yours to lose.

Tucked in shirt with collars and a tie. Yeah I know its retail and the Gap, but jeans won't cut it. Just be nice and have the customer in mind when answering questions. Do some research on Gap.com and the brands they represent (BR, Gap and Old Navy). The more information you have, the better.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Kellen

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
This may be a group interview, no?

If you find yourself in a group interview, try giving an answer for every single question. If there are 8 people there, and they're only hiring 2-3 of you, they're going to only hire the ones who are energetic enough to attempt to answer the questions willingly.

Smile often, wear a shirt (tucked into pants), pants (not jeans), proper shoes, and possibly a tie.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I don't know how important it will be but make sure you don't wear something that has another brand displayed all over it (IE: an A&F polo with the moose) and obviously dont wear something with "HOLLISTER" in big, bold letters. LOL :D

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Where I work (at a radio station) we have people come in and apply at a regular basis - I can tell you the ones that don't stand and chance and the ones that do.. I can't stress enough these following items:

1. Wear a suit and slacks (the tie is optional). Don't over-do it, but show that you value and regard the opportunity to have an interview.

2. Be polite. This goes further than can possibly imagine; So many people aren't - being so makes you stand out from the crowd.

3. Speak as well as you can - avoid using slang, word whiskers such as "like" "you know" and "and stuff". Make an effort to enunciate clearly.

4. Be specific. When answering questions, asking questions, whatever. Be specific and concise.

You'd be surprised how many kids show up for job interviews wearing jeans or a t-shirt or sneakers. Just because it's Gap doesn't mean you can let yourself go. At the very least, they will respect you more (suits garner the wearer more respect). Gap management dress pretty smartly, so dress to match.

Hope it works out well for you! I once had the opportunity to work there... The discount for employees is also sweet ;)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
I recently finished reading the book Punching In, by Alex Frankel, in which he describes what it was like to go undercover and work as a "front-line" employee at a number of major retailers, including Gap. One of the points I remembering him making about his experience was that the name of the store is just "Gap", and not "The Gap". He also said that the job involved a lot of standing around and folding clothes so that the store always looks neat, and that there's a lot of pressure to sell GapCards.

It was an interesting read, by the way. Sounds like UPS is a great place to work if that's your sort of thing---they treat their employees well. And you apparently don't ever, ever, ever want to work for Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Alright guys, I'm off to the interview. I'll let you guys know the details when I get back, how things went, ect.

As for what I'm wearing, I was planning on wearing a dress shirt and fitted jeans. I don't even own a pair of slacks.

Anyway, wish me luck!

*I'll post what I wore when I get home.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
back!
It was really casual and only took like, 5 minutes.

They asked me what type of things I did at my last job. I told her that I did more stock related stuff, cleaned stuff, set up displays, ect.

My flexibility. I told her that I would be available wednesday at 2:00 until close, thursdays and fridays at 4:00 until close and saturdays and sundays at like, 8:00AM until close, so i think i made myself pretty available.

What I like about the Gap and what I wanted to do there. I told her i like the environment and the up-beat staff and that I would like do do stock stuff. She then pointed out that there's no real "stock" position, and that it's mainly sales reps. She later pointed out that this would be my first real job working with customers and clothing.

I answered the questions as best and as calm as I could (even though I was really nervous) and smiled, made eye contact and was polite. However, there were times i kind of stuttered and sounded dumb.

She did ask about what I like about the Gaps clothing, and I kinda chocked on that one. I was like "well, the way it's set up, makes it inviting for people to come and shop. I also like that the Gap is directed to everyone, and doesn't discriminate a certain body type or age group. The clothes are also comfortable and colorful" I said something like that, but worded in a more awkward way.

Anyway, the lady was really nice and spoke to me in english (i was dreeeading being spoken to in french).

She said that they'll be calling people for 2nd interviews or hiring by friday or saturday. So, now all I can do is hope and wait!!

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
clubmonacozh1.jpg

btw, that's what I wore.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
That looks very Gap-like.

For my interview, my buddy told me to wear nice pants. Evidently the management was so appalled by the number of applicants who showed up to their interview wearing blue-jeans (work dress code is nice pants) that they were ready to hire anyone who could manage to show up in nice pants. I got a call a few hours later.

I think my natural charm and the girl behind the counter may have had something to do with it too, but there's something to be said for knowing what to wear!

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
After all the advice you were given on clothes, and you went in wearing that? :confused:

I wouldn't hire you, and I'm trying to be nice.

I felt that wearing a pair of dress pants was over doing it and unnecessary. The shirt is a nice dress shirt from Club Monaco (it's just thrown on the bed) and the jeans are fitted.

I feel that I would seem desperate if I wore anything to dressy.

The people working there are all wearing jeans and tshirts.

If i get called back for a second interview, maybe I'll pick up a pair of dress pants, but I really feel that it's over doing it.

Also, the way the interview was done, it didn't seem like it was anything "professionally" or anything." The manager just took me outside the store and asked me a few questions. She then thought about if she had anything else to ask, and that was about it.

** one thing I did mess up, is I didn't ask any questions. I didn't have any, but I don't want them to think I'm not interested. How important is it to ask questions?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I feel that I would seem desperate if I wore anything to dressy.

Desperate? You interpret it as desperate, but I'd interpret it as "someone who cares enough to put in some effort."

The people working there are all wearing jeans and tshirts.
That's the problem: You don't have the job yet! Who dresses down for an interview?

** one thing I did mess up, is I didn't ask any questions. I didn't have any, but I don't want them to think I'm not interested. How important is it to ask questions?

Go to THIS thread and think about what you've done.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
I really don't see why you're being so hard on me. I understand you're just being honest, but in the end, it's just a part-time job at the Gap. If i blew it, i blew it.

It's was my first interview. Ever. All I can do from here is learn and improve.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Always overdress a bit. If they say anything, it's easy to laugh off, like, "yeah, for interviews, but good luck ever catching me in it again."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.