Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple's iPod Support site references the upcoming iPod Battery Replacement program in a list of troubleshooting steps for the iPod.

If your iPod fails to hold a charge and it's more than a year old, you may need a new battery. Click Continue to order iPod battery service for $99 USD. This program is not available in Europe at this time.

The page warns that "iPod equipment that is sent in for battery service or service requiring other repairs will be replaced with functionally equivalent new, used, or refurbished iPod equipment. You will not receive the same iPod that was sent in for service."

According to information available to MacRumors, engraved iPods may simply have a longer turnaround.

The program appears to be now available.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME
hope you have a backup

I have more on my iPod than on my computer due to disk space issues.
That's a lousy program.

Plus 99 bucs seems expenseive! :(

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
What's with the engraved iPods? Will I also get another (engraved) one or will they send mine back?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I like how you can now replace the battery. Believe it or not, this has been one of the main reasons I haven't gotten an iPod. I'm not going to drop $500 and have my purchase be useless in a year or two because of a dead battery.

I don't like how they won't send your own iPod back to you. In fact, I find it unnacceptable. I guess it would be nice if they sent you one with less scratches, ect., but I develop a personal bond with my stuff. I don't like the idea of being given something different.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Um, if I spent a year and a half keeping my ipod pristine and wanted the battery replaced, I'd be really annoyed to receive some scratched up refurb. I don't know how I feel about this exchange program.

Alia

xtekdiver

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2003
New iPod

Face it folks, two years from now the next generation iPod will be even more versatile, larger capacity, and a better design (my guess: wireless). I bought my iPod with the understanding that this device will undoubtedly be replaced in a couple years -- at the most. I just know when I see that next killer device from Apple this one is going on Ebay and I'll be dropping a few more bills for the next best thing. That's just the way it is. Resistance is futile.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Well there's a bloody surprise. 'Not available in Europe at this time'. Do our batteries never fail then? So how long will we have to wait for this service? It joins a lengthening list of US only services...:mad:

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
"This program is not available in Europe at this time."

What the f?ck is wrong with Apple, time and time again ignoring International markets?

Hello Apple around 50% of your revenue comes from outside the US borders. If you want it to stay that way, SUPPORT OTHER MARKETS.

Fu?king retards.

acj

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
Lithium Ion and Lithium polymer cells are quite cheap. Available to the consumer for $5 at a place like all electronics .

Shame Apple charges so much (while the iPod does not charge so much... Ha!)

pgwalsh

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by acj
Lithium Ion and Lithium polymer cells are quite cheap. Available to the consumer for $5 at a place like all electronics .

Shame Apple charges so much (while the iPod does not charge so much... Ha!)
Now it's only a matter of pointing to which battery and a How To...

deepkid

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
chicago
Re: iPod Battery Replacement Details from Apple

Originally posted by Macrumors
You will not receive the same iPod that was sent in for service."

This goes on with some of the smaller auto insurance company-owned fix-it shops, but coming from Apple, it's sounds a bit bewildering.

Maybe what they meant is limited only to the component(s) being replaced in your own iPod. If not, what would become of your registration/serial number of the pod you bought/sent, if they did replace the entire pod to alleviate a hard drive problem?

Hopefully any pod replacement would be an upgrade, and nothing less, for the customer. It would be ridiculous for them to do something like send you back a refurbished 2nd generation "sardine can" pod when you sent in one of the 3rd gen 'big tic tac' models.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Re: Re: iPod Battery Replacement Details from Apple

Originally posted by deepkid
Hopefully any pod replacement would be an upgrade, and nothing less, for the customer. It would be ridiculous for them to do something like send you back a refurbished 2nd generation "sardine can" pod when you sent in one of the 3rd gen 'big tic tac' models.

In all likelihood, they'd send you a refurbished model of whatever you sent in. If you happen to send in one of the newest models, you MAY get a new one back. But most likely a refurb. And no, if you send in a 2G 20GB one, they are *NOT* going to send you a new 20GB current one as replacement. They'll dig into their 2G 20GB models.

aldo

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2003
England, UK
Yea, I'm pissed about Apple only offering it to US markets. They are _completely_ ignoring the international markets.

Retail stores: US only, with one Japan store. While I can see this changing it's taking them way too long for a rollout of Europe stores.

iTMS: US only. Europe is scheduled sometime next year, but what sort of pricing makret will we have to pay.

Pricing in general: Ignoring VAT (sales tax), Apple charges a hell of a lot more for European consumers than US ones. It's shipped from Taiwan anyway, so why should it be cheaper in the US?

While I love Apple, the amount it is closing itself down to US markets is astonishing. I hope this will change, but I can't see it being a lot better than this current situation:rolleyes: .

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Man, this is a rip.

$99 is 20 - 33% the cost of a new iPod system, and you don't even get yours back. What if you get a crappy refurb back that dies like 90 days later? They probably give you a super small warranty on the iPod they send ya... I'd rather go to a site to do it.

Even better yet, the iPod should be like the GBA SP, you can do it yourself.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
This seems a little awkward of Apple:
1. No international support
2. $99, pretty stiff
3. The chance of getting a 2G for your 3G
4. Loss of all non-music data on the iPod

Funny, but where is the good idea in this new system? It seems most unlike Apple.

So if you send in a under warranty iPod, do you still have to pay the $99?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Warranty service?

They mention other servicing besides just the battery swap. Does this mean if you send an iPod in for WARRANTY service that you may get a used/refurb model? Or is this just true for paid service you have done AFTER warranty.

If the latter... OK, it's weird but I guess I have my choice what to do. But if I had to send my NEW iPod (within a year) in for warranty service, I'd expect my same unit back or a new one swapped. NOT someone else's reject! Hopefully that's not the case.

(For engraved, I bet they slap your existing back on whatever iPod they were sending you.)

wHo_tHe

macrumors regular
$99 may be a lot to replace a spent battery, but look at it another way... It could be seen as an equipment replacement-type of warranty. I know a number of iPods that are over a year old that are pretty beat up, and $99 to replace them with a newly refurbed model might be better than replacing the whole thing at $299.

I don't know about these exact models, but my wife had her iPod replaced by a refurb by Apple (for free) and the replacement was in excellent, unblemished condition and has worked without issue.

MM2270

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
New York
What?

I was originally kinda psyched about hearing of this program, but I have to agree with others here, that getting a different iPod than the one you sent in is rather bogus. Like someone else said here, I have a bond of sorts with my iPod, and don't like the idea of getting someone elses reject one bit! What are they thinking!? What if the one you get is somehow prone to locking up as some of them do? I'd be royally pissed if my perfectly good iPod, sans good working battery, was replaced by one that crapped out on me frequently! Nah-ah, Apple, you can keep this program.

I think as someone else said already, Apple is just pricing this on the high end and making it unattractive to get it replaced, so they encourage you to buy a new 'Pod. :(

rotorblade

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2003
Replacing Battery

Don't know about the new iPod, but replacing the battery in the old iPod is a breeze. Takes all of 10 minutes. No way I'd pay $99. Just buy a battery for $49 - $59 and replace it yourself.

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
It's a known fact that Europeans get much longer battery life out of their Apple devices than Americans do. This is due to being closer to the North Pole and something else. Not to mention the fact that all Europeans have more money to spend so they deserve to pay more. :rolleyes:

I'm curious what happens to those who have first gen iPods...say a 5GB... Surely they don't have a back-stock of those around?

vmagdic

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by Veldek
What's with the engraved iPods? Will I also get another (engraved) one or will they send mine back?

All they have to do is hold onto your engraved back-plate, and glue that onto some other (refurburished unit).

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Weak. My iPod is MY iPod. Original model, with a few little scratches and dings that make it feel like mine, give it personality. On top of that, $99 for a battery?! What a ripoff. Really disappointed with Apple on this. They should make it so you can pop in and out new batteries yourself, and have them cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.