Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback

Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:15 AM   #1
weefle
macrumors newbie

C'mon, make it easy on the user!

I was shocked and dismayed that submitters are asked to retype all the artist, track, and album information, when it must be obtainable given just the iTunes Music Store URL.

I've written a very quick and dirty PHP script that, given an iTunes Music Store URL (of the http:// type that you can copy out of iTunes, or of the itms:// variety that iTunes actually handles itself), will return all the track information for that particular song. Note, you have to enter an iTunes Music Store URL for a track-- I don't think this will work with a URL for an album, artist, or anything else (although I haven't tried).

The interface:
http://ambrose.mcs.muohio.edu/itmsp/

And the source:
http://ambrose.mcs.muohio.edu/itmsp/index.phps

Please feel free to copy any or all of this horrible code to make dailytunes.com work the way it should.

weefle
weefle is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 11:56 AM   #2
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
strong work.

will get on it...
arn
arn is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:44 PM   #3
weefle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by arn
strong work.

will get on it...
arn
Heh, well, slop work, really-- just a four-hour hack-- but thanks. I sincerely hope it'll improve the site and make it easier for folks to contribute.
weefle is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 01:31 PM   #4
arn
macrumors god

Quote:
Originally posted by weefle
Heh, well, slop work, really-- just a four-hour hack-- but thanks. I sincerely hope it'll improve the site and make it easier for folks to contribute.
seems to have issues with quotes

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...dItemId=459613

(see song name)

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 01:35 PM   #5
arn
macrumors god

made the following changes...

lemme know if you think this will cause problems in other places:

Code:
function start_element($parser, $name, $attribs) {  
    global $current_element, $in_track_list, $done,$current_data;

if ( ! strcasecmp($name, 'tracklist') ) { $in_track_list++; }

if ( $done || !$in_track_list ) { return; }

$current_element = $name;
  $current_data="";
}

function character_data($parser, $data) {
    global $current_data, $end_of_songs, $done, $in_track_list;

if ( $done || ! $in_track_list) { return; }

$current_data .= html_entity_decode($data); 
}
arn is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 01:35 PM   #6
weefle
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by arn
seems to have issues with quotes

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...dItemId=459613

(see song name)

arn

Yeah, darn it, I knew there was a reason why I hadn't posted this yet (I haven't touched this in a week). I noticed that same thing on a Norah Jones track. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. A friend suggested something about decoding HTML entities, but if you look at what's in the parsed XML, it's missing everything before the quote. I blame expat.

If you have the DOM-based parser installed, I think I can give you code that'll parse up the XML DOM-style-- maybe the DOM parser will be smarter about quotes.
weefle is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 01:47 PM   #7
arn
macrumors god

http://www.dailytunes.com/submit.php

It's up....

give it a shot

arn
arn is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 01:59 PM   #8
weefle
macrumors newbie

Rock! Worked great for Dido!

Thanks for the incredibly quick work, and I'm really glad to see that you got the quotes fixed so easily.

Thanks again.

weefle
weefle is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 03:10 PM   #9
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
thanks weefle & arn -

my job just got easier
works great!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 03:17 PM   #10
mike3k
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to mike3k Send a message via AIM to mike3k
It's awesome! I love it - it's so much easier to submit songs now!
mike3k is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 03:22 PM   #11
weefle
macrumors newbie

No prob. I'm guessing that it's probably a lot easier on editors this way, too.

I'm super-glad to be of help.
weefle is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 05:42 PM   #12
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Talking Great Work Guys!

Happy to see DailyTunes making it easier on the user by automatically copying the album info from iTunes!

Kudos to weefle & arn.

Just one thing - Apple frequently mislabels the genre. I would like to be able to place the *correct* genre on my recommendation. I don't think it would cause ANY confusion for DailyTunes users (several others have also commented on Apple's rather lame cataloging efforts). Also the songs would be placed into the correct DailyTunes genre category.

My requests to have have the genre changed on a few songs have gotten no response so far.

Last edited by Jetson; Nov 15, 2003 at 03:45 AM.
Jetson is offline   0
Old Nov 14, 2003, 06:54 PM   #13
jbembe
macrumors 6502a

wow, that was fast.

p.s. it really irritates me that every Eric Clapton song is called rock when clearly he is a blues guitarist. But then I'm a fanatic.
jbembe is offline   0
Old Nov 15, 2003, 12:25 AM   #14
Mudbug
Administrator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mudbug Send a message via Skype™ to Mudbug
Re: Great Work Guys!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jetson
Just one thing - Apple frequently mislabels the genre. I would like to be able to place the *correct* genre on my recommendation. I don't think it would cause ANY confusion for DailyTunes users (several others have also commented on Apple's rather lame cataloging efforts). Also the songs would be placed into the correct DailyTunes genre category.

My requests to have have the genre changed on a few songs have gotten no response so far.
I don't think I've seen any "genre change" requests so far, unless you've done it by PM's to arn... Anyway - I see both sides of this arguement. I tend to agree with you - since we're compiling our own list, it should be the genre deemed most suitable by the listeners, not by Apple. If you know of some, by all means, send the error requests, or PM or IM me and I'll take care of it.

and a little FYI about the cataloging by Apple - as I understand it, Apple is just adding the already encoded songs/albums to the catalog, not ripping the songs themselves, so the genre of the piece is probably set by either the artist, or the label, and not by Apple. I also think the songs are genre'd by album, and not by individual track, so if that's the case, a rock track on a gospel album (just for example) would still get a "gospel" genre listing, even though it's clearly rock.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Daily Tunes Site Discussion and Feedback