Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koop79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
Hi, I tried bootcamp out for the first time. It didnt go too well.

Created the parition, selected "Start Installation". MBP re-boots and tries to install from the windows xp (pro) cd but all that happens is that I get a Blank Black screen with a blinking white cursor in the top left corner. I tried this cycle a few times but get the same results every time.

I have seen some threads in the past describing this problem but there were no solutions that worked for me.

MPB is new 2.4 pen with latest EFI installed + leopard updates.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Koop

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
I'll just join in your misery. I got the same thing. So I removed the partition and created it once again via Bootcamp and then I got as far as the machine rebooting and the Windows installer actually started the process but when it came to the part where it asks to choose a partition, I only had one choice. My bootcamp partition was no where to be found. Seems like no has any clue as to the problem. I just don't understand how some people are installing it without a hitch. I'm stumped. I've done everything right. Legit copy of XP (sp2). Did the basic partition of 32GB. All my system(leopard) software and firmware are up to date. I really wish there as a solution. Perhaps someone will come to the rescue with an tip.

~e

maxshanly

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2007
Does it ask you to click any key to boot from CD? Remember Windows isn't like OS 10, the CD won't boot into itself automatically even if you ask it to.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Yes but here's the kicker (at least for me), the keyboard doesn't work at that point. Perhaps due to drivers not loaded or it just freezes up the keyboard. Personally I've gotten past this issue after removing the partition and then recreating a new one.

~e

koop79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2008
I dont get any text, just goes straight to the blank screen with flashing cursor....

smilemoveon

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Just 30 mins ago, After windows copied all the files during installation with the blue screen, I got the blank screen with flashing cursor on the top right corner. as your guys.

At first I tried to reboot the machine and it still went the the same situation. Then I rebooted it again and set windows as the default booting, and rebooted it again, it started to install windows. I waited about 30 mins and the installation finish now. Now I am going to install bootcamp drivers in windows. Hope it helps.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
You need XP SP2. Make sure your disk isn't scratched.

Restart mac.

After hearing the startup chime, hold on to option key.

Select windows cd to boot.

It's not like a mac where after it starts to install you can walk away and everything will install, xp typically installs in sections, requiring user intervention in between the install sections.

Be prepared to waste 1-2 hours babysitting xp install, and at least 1-2 hour installing xp updates and essentials such as anti-virus, defrag app, alternative browser (firefox), etc..

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Same problem. Mine usually spits the XP disc out, then when I put it back in and try to boot it gives me a blinking cursor. After I finally get it to work, it usually just says "No bootable device found" and then I give up.

I would really like to get AutoCAD and XP on my MacBook Pro ... I wish there was a way to fix this. :(

imac123

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2008
problem fixed?

I just installed bootcamp this weekend. I went through the first installation segment, then it restarted and I too got the black screen w/ the blinking cursor.

I just turned my computer off for a while, then next time I started the machine I held down the option key until the boot options (OS X or Windows) came up, and I selected windows and hit enter.

Then XP loaded fine and contined the final part of the installation.

So if you're getting the blinking cursor screen, try restarting and holding the option key (you have to hold it for a few seconds sometimes... just wait until you see the mouse appear).

Hope this works for you guys.

Also, AFTER XP has finished installing FULLY, restart your machine, hold the option key down, and load OS X, then in the system preferences you can select OS X as your default. That way you only have to hold the option key down if you want to start windows. But initially, if I didn't hold any key down, it wouldn't load ANYTHING.

If you're having a problem w/ it restarting and giving you a "disk error" you probably didn't format your drive. Even though bootcamp formats the drive initially, you have to format it during windows setup (either FAT 32 or NTFS) for it to work properly.

eclipse525

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2003
USA, New York
Someone mentioned that Bootcamp won't work on APM formatted drives and that they have to be GPT. Is this correct? Could this be the reason that my WindowsXP (SP2) install only sees one large "C:" drive, even though the Bootcamp partition is clearly mounted on my desktop?

~e

adb1973

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
Resetting the PRAM

that did the trick for me. I had the same black screen blinking cursor right after using BootCamp, nothing worked until I descided to reset the PRAM

So hold down option+command+P+R at the same time right after this and Windows finally booted from the installdisc.

Hope this helps,
Arjan

ImacLegend

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Lithgow NSW AUSTRALIA
IMAC 24 " MAC OS X Lepoard - Installing Windows XP & Vista Upgrade

I have just been reading through your forum threads, and that i am to having the Same problems, I am also running with MAC OS X Leapoard and that i have removed all the USB cables and the Earthanet Cable I have tried searching the internet so many times that I am still having major problems.

I just bought Vista Home Prem and that I want to Install XP Pro and then Upgrade to Vista Home Prem?

If you have any Ideas on how I remove the Blank Black Screen and the flashing courser that be great. The CD says its Running . But their is no "ACTION"

if any of you Experts can give me a hand.

That be great.

Cheers :)

Jase

Encanto

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
I just bougth a new previous MacBookPro and it was wonderful until I tried installing widnows Xp with Boot camp. It didn't go well. AFter setting up bootcamp to install xp I get this blank blinking underscore and nothing happens. I tried rebooting the system many times and same thing. After numerous attempts, I gave up and tried to get OSX to boot and nothing. So now, I have no OSX on my mac. I m not sure what to do. I tried installing oSX with the recovery process using the CDs that came with my mac, but when I m prompted to choose a location where to install Leopard there is nothing theere no hard drive or anything. SO i dont know kwhats going on. Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks a lot =)

powersurge

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I don't have my new Macbook Pro yet (new mac user) but I really hope these issues are fixed within a week or so. Being able to run OSX and Windows alongside each other (windows for games) was a big selling point for me.

Encanto

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2006
San Diego, CA
I took in my Macbook Pro to the apple store today and this is what they told me. They said that in order to have bootcamp work flawlesly you must have a fres copy of Windows Xp with SP2. Otherwise, boot camp will delete an important data file from the system. i m not sure exactly what terms he used but the point is that you must runb a Genuine copy.

This is more complicated that what I though. Anyways, I m not sure what I m going to do next. I think I m going to go with Parellel. I wish it was simpler. Good luck everyone.

scarletclark

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
Possible solution

hello everyone - my first post. I've been trawling the internet for a solution to this too - I have the only mac in my office and was only allowed to purchase it on the proviso that I could run our web conferencing software on it (windows-based). So have been frantic trying to get an answer.

I have just got this to work for me. I had an authentic copy of Windows XP (SP2) but still got the black screen/blinking cursor.

I've just resolved this (well, it's currently installing on my MacBook while I write this on a PC...)

I partitioned my hard disk using Boot Camp Assistant

I put in the Windows XP disk and then shut down

I restarted, holding down the option key

I selected the windows disc to boot from and made sure during the instructions that I selected the Bootcamp drive to install too.

Then (I don't know why this is necessary) but (keeping the disc in) I installed via Boot Camp Assistant - it goes to the correct screen. And it seems to have worked!

If this works for anyone else, please let me know. Good luck!

fool760401

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2008
Hi, I tried bootcamp out for the first time. It didnt go too well.

Created the parition, selected "Start Installation". MBP re-boots and tries to install from the windows xp (pro) cd but all that happens is that I get a Blank Black screen with a blinking white cursor in the top left corner. I tried this cycle a few times but get the same results every time.

I have seen some threads in the past describing this problem but there were no solutions that worked for me.

MPB is new 2.4 pen with latest EFI installed + leopard updates.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Koop

Try changing the resolution to 800x600 before installing xp. It worked for me.

BrianMcTX

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2008
My solution

Here's how I got it to work...

1) Restart - clear PRAM "Command(the Apple key)+Option(the Alt key)+P+R" during boot.

2) Restart machine in OSX
3) Run boot camp assistant
4) Remove boot camp partition
5) Insert 10.5 install disc and reboot (hold down "c" during boot)
6) Launch Disk Utility (do not reinstall osx)
7) Repair boot drive
8) Close install and select boot drive and restart
9) Launch Boot Camp installer and follow the directions

I think the reason I got the black screen with flashing cursor in the upper left corner was because I didn't follow the instructions and let XP reformat my boot camp drive.

I hope this helps.

chevie82

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
Help

Hi all
I would not consider my self a MAC expert by any strech of the imagination, however I can not work this out. I have the same issue. Blinking cursor in the top left of the screen when trying to install windows.

I have two 20" iMAC's sitting right next to each other. I have followed the same process on both when trying to install windows using bootcamp. One machine works perfectly (the one I am on now) and the other computer boots to the blank screen.

I have tried everything on this forum. Pull everything out of the machine and only have the power and the keyboard plugged in, i have removed the power cable, changed the resolution to 800x600.

I have a genuine Microsoft Windows XP SP3 disk which works just fine, I am totally out of ideas. can any one help!!!!!!! MAC Support seem some what disinterested

adb1973

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
Amsterdam
Resetting the PRAM helped for me...

I hope it helps for you too...

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

David Schmidt

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2006
Southeastern USA
iMac 24" - reset PRAM fixed it for me

Same here - I was staring at the blinking cursor no matter what I tried with XP. With the fabulous Winders 7 beta out, I decided it was time to try again. After reading through this thread, resetting PRAM did the trick for me. Now I'm faced with "your computer will restart several times during installation..." and will see how many times I need to do an Option-boot or PRAM reset during this install. Whee!

chevie82

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
My Fix

Hello All
Well it has taken about 2 months on the phone with Apple Support and speaking to 3rd level support but I have a solution.

Apple Support gave up on the issue and sent me to a support center. I went to NextByte in Brisbane City AUS and they replaced the RAM (both 1GB chips) and it works a treat!

They dont know why, but all of you that have this issue, give it ago!

Cheers

Steve:D

gtjuggler

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
iMac 24"

Solution for me was to choose the quick NTFS format instead of leave filesystem intact, when at the blue partitioning screen.

Hope this helps someone!

kyungjin

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
I have been struggling with this issue ever since this morning and I think I've finally found a viable working solution.

Before you begin, make sure that your disk and partitions don't have any errors or problems by using disk utility to repair the disk or permissions if necessary. It might also be advisable to reset your PRAM settings as explained by the people above.

Upon checking your disks go to your system preferences and change your screen resolution to 800x600. Perhaps other screen resolutions make work... But I've been only able to test this at this setting.

After run the Boot Camp Assistant as you normally do and insert the CD followed by the reboot. After waiting about twenty or so seconds after the black screen... the installer started loading my Vista CD.

It could just be that the installation wizard was running the whole time but you didn't have a video connection like I did... Hope this helps~ Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.