Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:17 PM   #1
DaSal
macrumors regular

Best NZB app? (Not Unison)

I've been using Unison since I've got a Mac, and while it has it's perks, like it has a great interface, I've been looking for a better alternative since I got it. Things that really bug me is that I can't pause individual downloads, just all downloads in the download list, and it doesn't show the total download speed or estimated time to complete the download.

I'd use it mainly for downloading NZB's, so that's most important to me, automatically processing PAR files would be a plus. I really liked Newsbin on Windows better than Unison on here, but meh. That's why I decided to make a thread to see if anybody knows any alternatives, I couldn't really find one myself. Not one that was better/worked anyway.
DaSal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:51 PM   #2
senorfrog97
macrumors regular

Interested as well, but I don't think there's anything better than Unison out - seems we would've heard about it.
senorfrog97 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
DaSal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorfrog97 View Post
Interested as well, but I don't think there's anything better than Unison out - seems we would've heard about it.
Yea, I'm afraid of that too. I just don't get why Panic refuses to put more advanced feautures into their program. It still only has the most basic feautures for a Usenet app even at version 1.8. I think they're taking the whole "mac simplicity" thing a little too far...
Old Apr 23, 2008, 10:51 AM   #4
operator207
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSal View Post
Yea, I'm afraid of that too. I just don't get why Panic refuses to put more advanced feautures into their program. It still only has the most basic feautures for a Usenet app even at version 1.8. I think they're taking the whole "mac simplicity" thing a little too far...
I agree it could have some more advanced features, but its nicer than some other apps I have used in the PC world for usenet.

I still use XNews, as old as it is, and still find myself wanting Unison on that PC.

You could try nzbperl if you like cli apps. There is a screenshot of it working on a 10.4.1 intel machine.

I have never tried it, but it might be more to your liking.
operator207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 01:38 PM   #5
DaSal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator207 View Post
I agree it could have some more advanced features, but its nicer than some other apps I have used in the PC world for usenet.

I still use XNews, as old as it is, and still find myself wanting Unison on that PC.

You could try nzbperl if you like cli apps. There is a screenshot of it working on a 10.4.1 intel machine.

I have never tried it, but it might be more to your liking.
Looks nice. I've dabbled in Linux and the terminal before but sadly I have no idea how to get this thing working. I had the same problem trying to get Hellanzb to work. I just can't find any detailed explenation on how to get it to work, nothing on getting nzbperl to work on OSX at all an with Hellanzb it was all very vague imo (and required Xtools).

If someone could help me set this up that would be appreciated.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 01:51 PM   #6
netwalker
macrumors member

I've been using hellanzb (http://www.hellanzb.com), which is a command line tool and takes care of the downloading and unpacking. I just looks for new nzb files in my downloads folder and then does all the rest. It is not a fancy GUI application but it works and that is all I am asking for.

Easiest way to install it on a Mac is through darwinports: http://hellanzb.darwinports.com/

Complete instructions:
http://www.hellanzb.com/hellanzb-con...llanzb_OSX.txt
netwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 05:45 PM   #7
DaSal
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwalker View Post
I've been using hellanzb (http://www.hellanzb.com), which is a command line tool and takes care of the downloading and unpacking. I just looks for new nzb files in my downloads folder and then does all the rest. It is not a fancy GUI application but it works and that is all I am asking for.

Easiest way to install it on a Mac is through darwinports: http://hellanzb.darwinports.com/

Complete instructions:
http://www.hellanzb.com/hellanzb-con...llanzb_OSX.txt
Thanks for the great tip, I ran into some technical difficulties that weren't covered in the guide but I worked them out, it really does work like a charm.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:35 AM   #8
willpower101
macrumors regular

sabnzbd ftw
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:02 AM   #9
Nakor
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpower101 View Post
sabnzbd ftw
+1 best NZB 'app' out there by faaaar
Nakor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:08 AM   #10
dalvin200
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
+1 best NZB 'app' out there by faaaar
+2 for sabnzbd
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:15 AM   #11
Cromulent
macrumors 603

Quote:
sabnzbd ftw
Only 1 and a half years too late. Not bad for a yank (I assume) .
Cromulent is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 12:53 PM   #12
willpower101
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Only 1 and a half years too late. Not bad for a yank (I assume) .
i know i know, but it's a top hit for best mac nzb so i figured we'd get the info current for others out there
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:49 AM   #13
richardsim7
macrumors regular

Quote:
i know i know, but it's a top hit for best mac nzb so i figured we'd get the info current for others out there
Came up in google, cheers!
richardsim7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2010, 11:09 PM   #14
chkdg8
macrumors 6502

Sorry but for some reason, I keep coming back to Unison. Seriously, have you guys tried the latest build?
Old May 11, 2010, 11:22 PM   #15
willpower101
macrumors regular

Yep, using unison 2.x now because it's amazing! auto par, auto rar, folder organization, lots of goodness about the interface
Old May 12, 2010, 01:58 AM   #16
chkdg8
macrumors 6502

Oh, I'll admit that the new features are definitely awesome. The auto extraction feature alone means that I can uninstall MacPar Deluxe and have one less application. I can go on about the wealth of new features but I'm going to vote with my dollar and reward Panic and their hard work. Look, I can get this by "other means" but I use Unison everyday and I enjoy it. Sometimes you have to give a little. After all, $29 is nothing compared to what Unison is used for.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 07:15 AM   #17
noelbernie
macrumors newbie

give a shot to www.nzbvortex.com guys, you will probably be pretty happy :-)
noelbernie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:16 PM   #18
macrazee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelbernie View Post
give a shot to www.nzbvortex.com guys, you will probably be pretty happy :-)
+1

Best $10 I ever spent no question.
macrazee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store