Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Fluid - Free Site Specific Browser for Mac OS X Leopard

Category: Tips and How To's
Link: Fluid - Free Site Specific Browser for Mac OS X Leopard
Description:: Fluid is an awesome relatively new app that is leading the way for SSBs (Site Specific Browsers.) Site Specific Browsers are (name makes it obvious) web browsers that are designed to interact exclusively with a single web site. When you do this you can also build in more functionality for that site than a general browser can.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:43 PM   #2
Mac OS X Ocelot
macrumors 6502a

Even though it's not site-specific, isn't this the same purpose Flock was created for? For all the social websites?
Mac OS X Ocelot is offline   0
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:51 PM   #3
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac OS X Ocelot View Post
Even though it's not site-specific, isn't this the same purpose Flock was created for? For all the social websites?
not sure if this is trying to take that idea in a bit better approach, but i could be wrong, Flock tried but it seems to have failed horribly trying to do to much and ended up doing too little.

i'm always up for at least trying a new browser, i'll give it a spin sometime
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:56 PM   #4
Mac OS X Ocelot
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis View Post
not sure if this is trying to take that idea in a bit better approach, but i could be wrong, Flock tried but it seems to have failed horribly trying to do to much and ended up doing too little.

i'm always up for at least trying a new browser, i'll give it a spin sometime
I don't know what's up with Flock now, but reading about this Fluid, it seems like it's not a browser but a way to compile multiple site-specific browsers. Therefore, you need to have several different apps on your mac (Fluid, plus one for each website, like Digg, Facebook, MySpace, etc.).

EDIT: Okay, I see. Fluid creates new browser apps that only let you browse a specific website and uses its favicon as the app icon. If you try to navigate elsewhere it opens the page in your default browser anyway. I don't see how this is a better way to browse right now...

Last edited by Mac OS X Ocelot; Apr 23, 2008 at 12:05 AM.
Mac OS X Ocelot is offline   0
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:10 AM   #5
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac OS X Ocelot View Post
I don't know what's up with Flock now, but reading about this Fluid, it seems like it's not a browser but a way to compile multiple site-specific browsers. Therefore, you need to have several different apps on your mac (Fluid, plus one for each website, like Digg, Facebook, MySpace, etc.).

EDIT: Okay, I see. Fluid creates new browser apps that only let you browse a specific website and uses its favicon as the app icon. If you try to navigate elsewhere it opens the page in your default browser anyway. I don't see how this is a better way to browse right now...
yeah i see that. i think it would be good on a case-by-case basis, certainly not for general browsing. if you want a dedicated place for your email for example, this would be good. or a dedicated place for just your facebook etc.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Jasber
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Jasber
Hey All,

The purpose of Fluid is for site specific browsing.

One great example is a browser for GMail. Quick access and you can tweak the browser to work for a specific website.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Chef Medeski
macrumors 6502a

You guys watched the demo?

CoverFlow for Google Results, thats pretty bitching. Some cool stuff, definitely something to take a look at.

EDIT: Ok holy crap. I downloaded this. Its amazing. I set up an app for Facebook, and it displays number of message available even when I'm not at the website. Then if I click on a link say from Facebook it instantly pops up as a new tab in Firefox. Soom seamless and fast. Its really impressive. I could see a couple good points. You could have various Forum websites. You could bundle similar ideas website that one often checks into one place.

Its really cool. And the nice thing since its based of Webkit, its super fast and really small. Of course little bit resource intensive when using the actual website with thumbnails, but I would easily imagine why. Still very cool. Definetely worth the 31 MB download. Everyone should check it out.
Chef Medeski is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2008, 08:55 PM   #8
karenflower
macrumors 6502a

I really like Fluid. I use it for the MacRumors Forum Spy mostly.
karenflower is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:13 PM   #9
yoyo5280
macrumors 68000

I use it for meebo. Love it!
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:25 PM   #10
clevin
macrumors G3

I posted several introductions to Mozilla Prism, who created this idea and presented as a firefox's extension.

in Ubuntu 8.04, these prism backed "web-app" are offered as official "apps", indeed very nice.

Tiger people can try out Prism if you want site-sepcific-browser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	32
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	113703  
clevin is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2008, 03:53 AM   #11
Lixivial
macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure I'll ever really understand the point of SSB, but Fluid does seem to offer some unprecedented features, especially in its JavaScript and Plug-in API. Like Camino did with Firefox, Fluid kind of fills in the holes that the generalised and all-platform Prism or Air leave open. Still, I don't spend my time sitting in one web app all day for this to be of great use to me, I don't think, and I'm still not sold on the idea of "web computing."

Also, I'm not sure why they decided to keep around the .svn directories in their example plug-in source code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Medeski
Definetely worth the 31 MB download. Everyone should check it out.
Seems you forgot a decimal point there.
Lixivial is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion