Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I've been using TextEdit to write my Fortran programs recently and I was wondering if there are any (free) programs for editing Fortran programs? I don't need anything with syntax checking etc, the compiler does that for me. Something that'll deal with indents easier and have a line number display etc. I guess something a bit like the Xcode C editor.

Any suggestions?

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Every programmer, especially Fortran programmers, should use vim. Or emacs if you prefer.

Syntax highlighting, line numbering, powerful edit functionality, and free to boot.

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
Every programmer, especially Fortran programmers, should use vim. Or emacs if you prefer.

Syntax highlighting, line numbering, powerful edit functionality, and free to boot.

Seconded. Read and write Fortran every day. Nothing but vi(m).

Every time I mention it around here I seem to get flamed. I guess now that someone says they're writing Fortran they're already passed how "hardcore" people think vi(m) is.

-Lee

CaptainZap

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
There needs to be a vim vs emacs poll.

Perhaps that'll rouse the old passions that fueled the usenet flame wars of old.

Dude you have to make one. Sorry, but I really have nothing constructive to add to the original topic... Vim FTW =]

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hey, what about pico?

:D

Loyalty to Pico may be judged to be an idiosyncrasy for idiosyncrasy's sake.:)

For the OP, TextMate while not free (especially if you're an American suffering from a weak $ to € exchange rate), is a popular option and rightly so. It is very pretty, and you get syntax highlighting, code folding, and number of other things.

Fortran isn't included by default but a Fortran bundle is available from the Macromates SVN repository. Install scripts for Fortran, Ada, and may other TextMate bundles are available here (just cut and paste and run them in your terminal):

http://netcetera.org/cgi-bin/tmbundles.cgi

It's worth the trial download.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.