Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kman79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I was wondering if anyone knew how to edit words saved in custom dictionary? Or if it's even possible?

I'm a nursing student and for those in medical field, as well as those who has ever seen the generic or chemical names for some medications will know, it's quite easy to mis-spell those words. Unfortunately, I've mis-spelled some and made the mistake of saving the mis-spelled word in the custom dictionary.

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated, thank you.

kman79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
I figured it out, thanks anyways.

Just in case anyone else has the same issue that I had here is how you go about doing it.

Go to Tools --> Spelling and Grammar, Click Options, Click Dictinoaries, Select the Dictionary you want to edit, and then click edit at the bottom. Delete the words you want removed, saved and close everything. You'll have to turn on "Check spelling as I type" after doing this though.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
An alternative would be to develop a custom dictionary. This is possible using the Dictionary Development Kit installed with the Developer Tools to /Developer/Extras/Dictionary Development Kit/

kman79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2007
Thanks for the tip, that can be really handy.

Really wished there was a "Medical Terminology and Grammar" Dictionary addon! :D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thanks for the tip, that can be really handy.

Really wished there was a "Medical Terminology and Grammar" Dictionary addon! :D

It's more than possible to create one. It would take a little effort and time, but once done would be portable to other machines...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.