Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:08 PM   #1
MM07
macrumors 6502a

MacBook Locking Up

After the screen saver starts (set to go on after 1 hour), my MacBook locks up 90% of the time when I attempt to wake it up. I sometimes hit the trackpad and sometimes I hit command. It is hit or miss on which one will work.

I have to hold the power button to restart it.

I have it plugged in all the time when it's at home. Under energy saver I have both settings set to go asleep after 2.5 hours.

I have no issues when I close the lid to put it to sleep.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:21 AM   #2
MM07
macrumors 6502a

This just happened again, but this time the screen saver did not come on. My trackpad and keyboard were frozen. I did not try a USB mouse.

Ideas?

Reset PRAM?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:33 AM   #3
ArmyKnight12
macrumors 6502

Yea, that used to happen all the time with my MBP. It's very annoying. I reset the PRAM and it hasn't happened since.
ArmyKnight12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 04:49 PM   #4
MM07
macrumors 6502a

I think I reset PRAM. I shut down my MB. Then I held the CMD, Option, P, & R keys, then powered up. I had the usual startup sound.

The doc says that I should hear the startup sound second time.

How do I know that I reset the PRAM?
Old Apr 27, 2008, 02:44 AM   #5
nufanec
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM07 View Post
I think I reset PRAM. I shut down my MB. Then I held the CMD, Option, P, & R keys, then powered up. I had the usual startup sound.

The doc says that I should hear the startup sound second time.

How do I know that I reset the PRAM?
Hearing the second chime means it has been reset. You need to make sure you are holding down the buttons from boot and dont let go until you hear the second chime.
nufanec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:51 PM   #6
MM07
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nufanec View Post
Hearing the second chime means it has been reset. You need to make sure you are holding down the buttons from boot and dont let go until you hear the second chime.
I got another lock up tonight. I held the keys down and I had to have my wife hit the start button and it worked.

I heard the double chime. I noticed that spotlight was indexing drives. I don't notice anything different...yet.

I hope this works.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:26 AM   #7
stevemcmillen
macrumors newbie

Hoping this is the solution

I'm waiting and hoping with bated breath that this is the solution. I've been suffering for a good few months now. Its been very painful. Random lock-ups. Totally unpredictable as far as I can tell.

I've re-installed OS but it continued. I went back to an image of the OS drive from when the machine was totally stable. Nothing worked!!

There are certain apps that I suspect but I've never had enough time to isolate. It all started shortly after I installed a 2nd VM solution (I use Parallels to run Windows Apps like M$ Project and wanted to try VMWare Fusion).

Anyway, I'm at my whits' end. Nothing worse than being in a meeting working on a spreadsheet with a team and you have to hard-cycle your machine.
stevemcmillen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help