Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
After the screen saver starts (set to go on after 1 hour), my MacBook locks up 90% of the time when I attempt to wake it up. I sometimes hit the trackpad and sometimes I hit command. It is hit or miss on which one will work.

I have to hold the power button to restart it.

I have it plugged in all the time when it's at home. Under energy saver I have both settings set to go asleep after 2.5 hours.

I have no issues when I close the lid to put it to sleep.

Any ideas on what could be causing the issue?

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
This just happened again, but this time the screen saver did not come on. My trackpad and keyboard were frozen. I did not try a USB mouse.

Ideas?

Reset PRAM?

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Here
Yea, that used to happen all the time with my MBP. It's very annoying. I reset the PRAM and it hasn't happened since.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
I think I reset PRAM. I shut down my MB. Then I held the CMD, Option, P, & R keys, then powered up. I had the usual startup sound.

The doc says that I should hear the startup sound second time.

How do I know that I reset the PRAM?

nufanec

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
I think I reset PRAM. I shut down my MB. Then I held the CMD, Option, P, & R keys, then powered up. I had the usual startup sound.

The doc says that I should hear the startup sound second time.

How do I know that I reset the PRAM?

Hearing the second chime means it has been reset. You need to make sure you are holding down the buttons from boot and dont let go until you hear the second chime.

MM07

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
Hearing the second chime means it has been reset. You need to make sure you are holding down the buttons from boot and dont let go until you hear the second chime.

I got another lock up tonight. I held the keys down and I had to have my wife hit the start button and it worked.:D

I heard the double chime. I noticed that spotlight was indexing drives. I don't notice anything different...yet.

I hope this works.

stevemcmillen

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
Hoping this is the solution

I'm waiting and hoping with bated breath that this is the solution. I've been suffering for a good few months now. Its been very painful. Random lock-ups. Totally unpredictable as far as I can tell.

I've re-installed OS but it continued. I went back to an image of the OS drive from when the machine was totally stable. Nothing worked!!

There are certain apps that I suspect but I've never had enough time to isolate. It all started shortly after I installed a 2nd VM solution (I use Parallels to run Windows Apps like M$ Project and wanted to try VMWare Fusion).

Anyway, I'm at my whits' end. Nothing worse than being in a meeting working on a spreadsheet with a team and you have to hard-cycle your machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.