Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Island Roots

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
I've had my Dual 2GHz Power Mac G5 for a little over a month now and I couldn't be happier with it. However, I've noticed that the power supply likes to make a subtle "chirping" sound every second or so. I disabled this when I was running Jaguar by disabling the "Nap" function of the processors via CHUD.

However, after reading up more on the issue, I've discovered that it could potentially harm the system so I have stopped using it. I have grown accustomed to it; however I was wondering if anyone else has this problem?

I contacted AppleCare when I first heard it (about a month ago) and they said I could send it in for repair as it is a known problem. However, my schedule has been busy and I wouldn't be able to go without my computer for a week or so.

I plan on sending it back to Apple around Christmas as I won't be home to use it every day.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Ive got the same problem too, but ive noticed that running folding@home solves the problem. I really dont know why it solves the chirping noise , but as long as i dont listen to that noise im a extremely happy camper. There is a huge discussion on this topic on the Apple Discussion Boards

There is a rumor that Apple will release a upgraded PSU, its still not known if it will be user installable or not.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
G4 MDD's PSU was user installable, what do you think? Took a mere 10 minutes.
Does not look like the PowerMac G5 power supply is a user installable part, since the CPUs are in the way of the replacement and those are not user installable parts.

But you can see the two fans which are supposed to be noise sources.

Attachments

• g5 power supply.jpg
    g5 power supply.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 401

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm kind of hoping Apple releases a user-installable upgrade as well, since I REALLY don't want to ship my G5 off for service (I live nowhere near anything resembling an authorized service center, and REALLY don't want to go weeks without a computer).

However, my computer seems to make the noise only very rarely--a couple of apps I don't use often--and if it ever does get annoying I can always kick in F@H (or temporarily turn off nap mode). Of course, the maddening whine coming from my 9800 is so much louder than the chirp it's hard to even hear it.

Please, ATI, start some sort of trade in program for cards with quieter fans!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.