Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2007
Hey everyone, I just have a quick question regarding the mini dvi slot for my iMac.

In the next month I'll be doing my senior project and want to do it on my iMac, now i'll be needing to connect it to a projector with VGA. Now sometime in the near future I might want to do dual monitor through DVI for a better picture.

I've read that you can't use a DVI to VGA adapter on this mini DVI because it only does digital, is this true? If so really ridiculous that I'll end up spending somewhere around $40 for something that should be in the back of the computer already.

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
If your going to hook up your iMac to a projector with a VGA input then you have to buy a Mini DVI to VGA adapter and if you want to plug it into a monitor with a DVI input you have to buy a Mini DVI to DVI adapter.

tuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
i'll be needing to connect it to a projector with VGA. Now sometime in the near future I might want to do dual monitor through DVI for a better picture.

I've read that you can't use a DVI to VGA adapter on this mini DVI because it only does digital, is this true? If so really ridiculous that I'll end up spending somewhere around $40 for something that should be in the back of the computer already.

There is strong evidence that putting a DVI-to-VGA adapter on the end of a miniDVI-to-DVI adapter doesn't work, even though it seems like it should. I believe it was a laptop that was tested. It may (or may not) be a different story with your iMac.

details at http://bitguru.wordpress.com/2008/01/15/mini-dvi-to-dvi-adapters-and-anagolg-signals/

If you try it please let me know how well it works for you, but to be safe it may be best to purchase separate miniDVI-to-VGA and miniDVI-to-DVI adapters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.