Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Music Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2003, 08:27 PM   #1
scem0
macrumors 604

Missy Elliot

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Missy Elliot fan...

Ive never gotten the feeling that there's a big hip hop community here at MacRumors, but I hope I'm wrong.

Are there any other Missy Elliot fans here? I think she is one of the most creative song writers to have ever lived. She seems like a really cool person too.

Have y'all seen her when they 'punked' her? She stood up on her stool and put her foot on the table, and threatened the jewler! What other celebrity has taken charge like Missy did on punked?

scem0
scem0 is offline   0
Old Nov 16, 2003, 01:32 PM   #2
scem0
macrumors 604

Re: Missy Elliot

Quote:
Originally posted by scem0
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only Missy Elliot fan...
I guess I was right

scem0
scem0 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2003, 01:54 PM   #3
coopdog
macrumors 6502a

Yes, I guess you are. Keep in M.I.J. the mind.

Last edited by coopdog; Nov 22, 2003 at 01:58 PM.
coopdog is offline   0
Old Nov 24, 2003, 03:06 PM   #4
Shifty
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Shifty
Don't worry. You're not the only one.

I love some of Missy Elliott's tracks. I have about at least six in my iTunes Library.

I listen to HipHop, Rnb, Garage, and Drum+Bass. Anything urban and dance.

www.differentdistrict.com
Shifty is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 04:41 PM   #5
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
missy elliot is awesome! she always has awesome videos also. i really like the video for pass that dutch. i have a few missy tracks in my iTunes, but not a lot because her kind of music isn't exactly what's usually listened to in my house, but then again, i am not like the rest of my family either.
bennetsaysargh is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2003, 05:08 PM   #6
lavar78
macrumors member

I've been a big fan of Missy's from the beginning.
lavar78 is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2003, 03:00 PM   #7
Gymnut
macrumors 68000

I've kind of faded out following rap and hip/hop but I always loved her "All in my grill".
Gymnut is offline   0
Old Dec 13, 2003, 03:23 AM   #8
scem0
macrumors 604

Im glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys listening to what she and 'timb' come up with .

scem0
scem0 is offline   0
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:20 AM   #9
edStar
macrumors member

I have total respect for Missy Elliot and Timbaland and their repeat efforts to take Hip Hop back to the days when it was raw, edgy and straight out protest-like in its execution. Totally in your face. they always come up with stuff that is different and original.

I'm very disappointed with mainstream pop hip hop nowadays. A total disappointment, but Missy is the only artist keeping it real. Her new album, this is not a test has been getting radio play on one of my favourite stations and I won't hesitate picking it up next time I'm buying cds!
edStar is offline   0
Old Dec 19, 2003, 03:34 PM   #10
scem0
macrumors 604

I got it as an early christmas present yesterday! It's playing right now .

Before I say anything, I'd like to say that it is a great CD.

But despite its greatness - it isn't as good as I expected. I prefer Missy rapping, and (let me count.....) 6 songs on this album are Missy singing. Those songs are dull and boring (ecept for the track 'Toyz'). That is 6/15 songs btw. But 2 of the other 9 rap songs are short (intro & outro), so the CD is almost just half rap. But I found Dats What I'm Talkin About (Featuring R. Kelly) to be an interesting track because she shows more singing/vocal ability than any other song I've heard of hers; it is still boring and dull though.

Songs I really like from this album:
  • Ragtime Interlude/I'm Really Hot - Especially the beginning. This song is done REALLY well. Flawlessly done in fact. It's one of those songs that gives you chills when you hear it for the first time, or maybe that was just me. The first verse is by far the best part of the song, but the whole song is great.
  • Let It Bump - An overall great song. But there isn't anything too special about the song. Its still a great song though.
  • Let Me Fix My Weave - Good song, interesting and funny thing to write a song about.
  • Spelling Bee Interlude/Spelling Bee - Really well written song. Great concept.
  • Pass that Dutch! - Well, this is just a badass song. It is more along the lines of work it and gossip folks, which are two awesome songs. Great song.

So, overall, the album is great, but if the singy-singy songs were taken off and replaced with original rap songs, then the album would be twice as good.

scem0
scem0 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Music Discussion