Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Engadget reports that Apple's forthcoming 3G capable iPhone will incorporate a GPS module but be only slightly thicker than the current generation model.

Engadet's visual description of the device largely mirrors that given by iPod Observer earlier this month that depict a more rounded phone with a glossy black back, but adds that the much-despised recessed headphone jack will be replaced by a jack flush with the device body.

123813-3gback_200.png

Image courtesy iPod Observer
The 3G iPhone is largely expected to be introduced at this year's WWDC conference, with probable shipping in July.

Article Link

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
i personally love the all black back. i think this is going to be another great product from apple and i can't wait to see what it actually all entails

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i don't believe that they'll go with plastic, as that would be a step backwards. they have said several times that they're minimizing the use of plastics in their products, and it shows with the macbook air and imac moving away from it, along with the ipod classic, ipod nanos etc. so this is probably only for demo units or something.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
What exactly is, "slightly thicker." It could mean anything.:confused:

I would imagine that it means that if you were to measure the thickness of the 3G iPhone, it would be a measurement that is a small amount larger than the same measurement of the current iPhone.

:rolleyes:

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
is it me, or does that picture of the 3G iPhone look like Spocks Coffin in Star trek 2 the wrath of Khan?

"KHHHHAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!"

christopher3071

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Upstate, NY
I still think this is a fake leaked by apple in their ingenious propaganda scheme in which they attempt to fool all the rumor sites with fake prototypes. Like said before, the move from metal to plastic makes no sense. Apple has publicly made a stand to move toward more eco-friendly materials. Plastic's out. Look at the iPod and iMac for example.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I genuinely hope it doesn't look like that. GPS is something i would desire though, more so than 3G capabilities.

Also... WPA enterprise PLEASE!

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Hopefully the antenna will be better

and the terrible service may be usable more than 60% of the time...

VERIZON please!!!

gphoto

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
U.S.
That shiny plastic will never look as good as when it first comes out of the box. Please no shiny plastic!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
"Slightly thicker" = we're gonna have to have all new accessories.

Here's hoping Apple puts out the new dimensions of whatever's coming sooner, rather than later, so we don't have to wait months and months for decent cases again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.