Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

islandsnow

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
i have mac osx 10.5.x leopard. i set up my mac so that it logs into our active directory at work. so the account thats created is a managed mobile account. it seems i cannot add anything to the login items for these accounts. for local computer accounts, its no problem. but for these managed accounts, when i click on the login items tab, it hangs and does nothing and i have to force quit my way out of the accounts system prefs. anyone else have this problem?

BSDGuyShawn

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
i have mac osx 10.5.x leopard. i set up my mac so that it logs into our active directory at work. so the account thats created is a managed mobile account. it seems i cannot add anything to the login items for these accounts. for local computer accounts, its no problem. but for these managed accounts, when i click on the login items tab, it hangs and does nothing and i have to force quit my way out of the accounts system prefs. anyone else have this problem?

I have this exact problem. Had had it from day 1.

I also cannot connect to windows shares without changing the username that pops up. It would seem that the MAC is using the Full Name (Shawn L. Workman) instead of my login name on the domain (user.login).

Any help with that one?

islandsnow

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
I have this exact problem. Had had it from day 1.

I also cannot connect to windows shares without changing the username that pops up. It would seem that the MAC is using the Full Name (Shawn L. Workman) instead of my login name on the domain (user.login).

Any help with that one?

i'm glad i'm not the only one. but i can't believe more people aren't having this same issues. i think i get that same problem too with logging into the shares.

tryingmypatienc

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
More people are...

I have been trying to get a group of iMacs (Tiger and Leopard) to stay connect via wireless to our network, authenticate using AD, and operate in the normal manner on a network. Finally Apple is getting the OS working so that the WiFi works most of the time, SMB connections connect via the WiFi (no more error -36), and much to my surprise today I got the "Other..." login choice. First try and it worked! After that it has been hit or miss.

The lack of login items means that I can not get my users attached to their shares automatically. I will have to come up with some other way of making that happen.

I too am annoyed by the use of the full name not the user name and the hanging when attempting to use the account settings when logged in as a managed user.

I have am pleased to see that Apple is actually fixing the problems, but I have been actively trying to get these issues resolved (with Apple) since the end of October (when I took on this mess.)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005

If you hold down the option key when logging in (just before clicking the login button), a window will open over the login screen. Clicking 'Disable Settings' will allow you to access the Login Items pane and add volumes, files and applications.

Add what you need, log out and back in.

tryingmypatienc

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
Yes, I have done this. It works as a work around. Eventually, I am sure that Apple will get around to fixing the bug. The real problem is that the iMacs still are very random about when they actually decide to establish a WiFi connection. If the WiFi connection has not been established at the time the user logs in then the Login Items fail and the user has to manually connect to the server. It is just another step that the end user has to be trained to do.

sam112

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
login items tab can not be opened in OSX 10.5.2 with active directory account!

I Have the sam problem, in mix PC and MAC environment in school, after login with active directory login, Login Items Tab in Sytem prefrences\Accounts can not be open!!
Please help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.