Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Apr 26, 2008, 01:17 PM   #1
xdefeatsy
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to xdefeatsy
Error when transferring file to external hard drive

I have a USB 2.0 hard drive that I have been using to back up movie files. It has let me transfer files from my Macbook Pro HD to it hundreds of times without any problems.

I have this .mkv file that keeps giving me an error when I try to transfer it to my external. I get "Sorry, the operation could not be completed because an unexpected error occurred. (Error code 0)".

I have transferred plenty of .mkv files to my external with no problems. All other files work fine when I transfer them. It will let me move my .mkv file around my Macbook Pro's internal hard drive but it won't let me transfer it to the external.

Any ideas?
xdefeatsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:04 AM   #2
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a

Is the file over 4GB? Is the USB drive formatted to FAT32? You can check the format in Disk Utility. If the format of the USB drive is FAT32, then it will not be able to deal with files over 4GB. You'll want to back up whatever data is on it and reformat it to Mac OS Extended. You can do that with the Erase command in Disk Utility.

Otherwise, if it's already Mac Extended, try the Disk Utility routine...

1. Open Disk Util (Applications->Utilities)
2. Verify both disks and disk permissions.
3. Run repairs where possible (you cannot repair the disk you're booted to, except for permissions).
yadmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3
xdefeatsy
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to xdefeatsy
Ah ok, didn't know there was a file size limit for Fat32. It's a 5.5gb file so I guess I will have to do the extended. Thanks.
xdefeatsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 02:27 AM   #4
donbenjy
macrumors 6502

*sigh* is there any way around having to format? I have a 4.01Gb file for Pro Tools 8, and I want to keep it in my FAT32 partition because the HFS+ is used for TM, and I need access to most of the FAT32 files from OS X and windows... I suppose I could run a TM backup, but that might result in the "backup" getting deleted (currently using a 90gb partition, and I have a 250gb HD ). I tried cp in terminal, which took longer to tell me that the file was too big, but at least started copying!
donbenjy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:58 PM   #5
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried it, but there's a Windows program called MacDisk which claims to allow Windows to read and write to HFS formatted drives.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:17 AM   #6
donbenjy
macrumors 6502

That's not really gonna work though, as I use it for transferring stuff between random PCs, not my own I guess I'll have to risk not having a backup of the installer - it is available on the website, but a 4GB download takes hours
donbenjy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2009, 10:55 AM   #7
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

The other option is to use MACFuse on your Mac, and install ntfs-3g. Then format the USB drive on the Windows machine at NTFS.

This way you can use random windows machines, your Mac will be able to read the USB drive as a Windows NTFS filesystem, and you can store 4GB+ files on it.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:05 AM   #8
plinden
macrumors 68040

If you have access to Windows you can convert your FAT32 external drive to NTFS with no loss of data (ie no reformat needed) using the DOS convert command. Then like scaredpoet said, install MacFUSE and NTFS-3g on your Mac.
plinden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2009, 09:11 PM   #9
one1
macrumors 65816

Thanks yadmonkey. I was having the same issue and getting unnerved. Did a quick search and here was the fix.
one1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:15 PM   #10
Orange78
macrumors newbie

Same problem, but with Mac formatted frive

I'm also receiving this error when I try to transfer an 11 gb .dv file to my Mac formatted USB drive. I tried the disk utility fix, and repaired the disk, but I'm still getting the error.

Is anyone aware of there being a file size limitation when the USB drive is Mac formatted?

Thanks!
Orange78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:46 PM   #11
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

I always get this error every once in a while knowing full well that there's nothing wrong with the drive. For some reason, the second attempt to transfer the file a second time works.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:41 AM   #12
yavin4
macrumors newbie

0 Error with HD TV prob

I have been reading through these posts trying to find a solution to my (similar) predicament.

I have an 8GB thumbdrive and wanting to watch an HD video I shot on my HD LCD TV which has a USB data slot.

The movie (a friend's wedding) is 6.2GB, and like others returned the 0 error message when i tried to copy it over.

Taking the advice of the posts I reformatted the drive to OSX extended, copied the .avi no prob but now the TV and my BluRay player (also with USB port) states: Unsupported Format when i plug the drive in

Seems like it only reads Fat32 as i reformatted and a 400MB file worked fine!

What to do when i have video/movie files like this. I don't want to burn to DL DVD, a lot more time and less environmentally friendly...

HELP please
yavin4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:40 PM   #13
baz1860
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to baz1860
Split & Concat is perfect for this exact problem

http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/
baz1860 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:37 PM   #14
mocho911
macrumors newbie

I already use Macfuse, NTFS for Mac from Paragon, NTFS-3G, and nothing really solved my problem, I had a 11.7G movie and I want it to copy it in my external drive, but it won't let me, so I used every program that I mention it, but nothing really works, so I really recommend you to use the Split&Concat solution, because there is NO other, this program will split your file, and then you can copy to your external HD and later you can put it together again, I'll tried and It worked!!, but there something weird, when I put the file together it shrinks from 11.7G to 4.29G, but it still looks in 1080p, you can try it, it worked for me, this is the link http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

I hope it works for you 2.
mocho911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 08:28 PM   #15
kpng
macrumors newbie

Problem saving avi files from imac to 4GB Kingston USB stick

I'm new to this and also not very tech savvy. Been having exasperating problems with my 4GB Kingston drive when trying to save movie files to my iMac. Am not sure what the problem is because the Kingston works well with all smaller files, so am wondering if its because the file size is too large (but the problems persists even with file size of 300MB), if the Kingston is not compatible with the Mac, or some other cryptic problem that I may not be able to understand? But it is strange because the transfer works perfectly with a smaller 1GB USB stick (non-Kingston). Can someone help?
kpng is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:48 AM   #16
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a

Is the problem moving files to or from the 4GB drive? Or both? What exactly happens when you try to copy larger files?

What format is the drive using? You can find this by clicking on the drive and going to the File menu and choosing Get Info.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 05:13 PM   #17
kpng
macrumors newbie

Sorry, I meant transfer FROM the iMAc to the Kingston.

Format - MS-DOS (FAT32)

Error message - The Finder canít complete the operation because some data canít be read or written.
(Error code -36)

And then it goes on to eject the USB without warning.

Have reformatted the USB stick many times, but to no avail. Initially thought that I got a faulty product, but I have 2 of the same and they both have the same problem.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:58 PM   #18
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a

What version of the Mac OS are you running? Also, are you copying just a single file or a folder?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:28 PM   #19
bmcgonag
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to bmcgonag
When you format the drive in Disk Utility, open the Options on the partition screen, and make sure it is set to guid with HFS+ and not MBR.

I've had the same issue with kingston drives, and some work, some don't. But i know one of them, the problem was what I stated above.
bmcgonag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:02 AM   #20
kpng
macrumors newbie

MAC OS X (Version 10.6.6), and I'm trying to transfer a file. Seems that all movie files don't work.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 04:40 PM   #21
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a

I'm sort of stumped, but intrigued. I don't suppose your boot volume is formatted case sensitive, is it? You can find that out in Disk Utility.

Also, I'd be curious to see if you could do this booted in Safe mode. To do this, hold down the Shift key as you start up. Takes a bit longer to boot this way, but worth a shot.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 08:58 PM   #22
rlphotography
macrumors newbie

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadmonkey View Post
Is the file over 4GB? Is the USB drive formatted to FAT32? You can check the format in Disk Utility. If the format of the USB drive is FAT32, then it will not be able to deal with files over 4GB. You'll want to back up whatever data is on it and reformat it to Mac OS Extended. You can do that with the Erase command in Disk Utility.

Otherwise, if it's already Mac Extended, try the Disk Utility routine...

1. Open Disk Util (Applications->Utilities)
2. Verify both disks and disk permissions.
3. Run repairs where possible (you cannot repair the disk you're booted to, except for permissions).
Thank you!
As a new mac user (just bought the latest 17" MBP) I was trying to copy a 6.6GB folder onto a 32GB FAT32 SD card and it said that it was too large. Your advice here worked perfectly.
Question: Can I still use this card in a digital camera or will I have to reformat it in the camera first?
rlphotography is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:10 AM   #23
ghileman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz1860 View Post
Split & Concat is perfect for this exact problem

http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/
Well, my Mac will play the split .mkv files (after I remove the .001 extension which Split&Concat adds) but I can't my LG TV to play the file. I first get a message that audio is unsupported, but then I get a message saying the file is invalid.

Thoughts?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocho911 View Post
I already use Macfuse, NTFS for Mac from Paragon, NTFS-3G, and nothing really solved my problem, I had a 11.7G movie and I want it to copy it in my external drive, but it won't let me, so I used every program that I mention it, but nothing really works, so I really recommend you to use the Split&Concat solution, because there is NO other, this program will split your file, and then you can copy to your external HD and later you can put it together again, I'll tried and It worked!!, but there something weird, when I put the file together it shrinks from 11.7G to 4.29G, but it still looks in 1080p, you can try it, it worked for me, this is the link http://www.xs4all.nl/~loekjehe/Split&Concat/

I hope it works for you 2.

Mocho,

My Mac will play the split .mkv files (after I remove the .001 extension which Split&Concat adds) but I can't my LG TV to play the file. I first get a message that audio is unsupported, but then I get a message saying the file is invalid.

Thoughts?
ghileman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:06 PM   #24
BrettBob
macrumors newbie

For anyone having trouble with video files that can be opened in a program (.mov or .avi, etc) simply open the file in Quick Time or what have you, and save the file directly to your drive rather than copying and pasting. Simple, yet effective. Beats reformatting your entire drive.
BrettBob is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X