Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
so I am really considering buying a MacBook Air and I have a few questions.

I am hoping to use this as my sole computer and I am interested in using it for school and I am attractive to it for portability reasons.

Now, anyone use an air with time capsule to store iTunes media (movies, tv shows, and music). I was wondering what syncing with their iPhones or iPod was like, if the speed was THAT BAD and how does it compare to syncing over USB with an external hd? I would like to leave for school with my air and study with out the distractions media files offer.

How is copying and transcoding with handbrake like with the air? Is it dog slow? My main uses for the air will be internet, mail, word processing, iphone syncing over time capsule or external USB hd, some movie transcoding for my iPhone I usually do so once a week, photos (no apeture, just iPhoto). I feel the air will be fine for these purposes and of course it is very portable!

Thanks for the help.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
so I am really considering buying a MacBook Air and I have a few questions.

I am hoping to use this as my sole computer and I am interested in using it for school and I am attractive to it for portability reasons.

Now, anyone use an air with time capsule to store iTunes media (movies, tv shows, and music). I was wondering what syncing with their iPhones or iPod was like, if the speed was THAT BAD and how does it compare to syncing over USB with an external hd? I would like to leave for school with my air and study with out the distractions media files offer.

How is copying and transcoding with handbrake like with the air? Is it dog slow? My main uses for the air will be internet, mail, word processing, iphone syncing over time capsule or external USB hd, some movie transcoding for my iPhone I usually do so once a week, photos (no apeture, just iPhoto). I feel the air will be fine for these purposes and of course it is very portable!

Thanks for the help.

On your first question, it completely depends on your wireless network: If you have a completely 802.11n network and a decent signal, then it should be OK. If not, you'll find it very, very slow

On the handbrake question, I've just tested my 1.8SSD air and it's about 10-20% slower than my Mac Pro (80 - 90 frames per second on my settings against 110-120 fps on the Mac Pro), so still very, very usable :)

ltsching

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
I have all my media stored in the TC connected to a HP printer and WD USB drive. You just have to remember to mount the TC for synching. In my unscientific experience, it is just a tad slower than connecting through USB. I've used Handbrake with no problem. It decodes to iPod Touch/iPhone format in almost real time. I do, however, have to use the external superdrive and use Mactheripper first before using Handbrake. Hope this helps.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
I have all my media stored in the TC connected to a HP printer and WD USB drive. You just have to remember to mount the TC for synching. In my unscientific experience, it is just a tad slower than connecting through USB. I've used Handbrake with no problem. It decodes to iPod Touch/iPhone format in almost real time. I do, however, have to use the external superdrive and use Mactheripper first before using Handbrake. Hope this helps.
Why do you mactheripper first?

ltsching

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Hey so the ipod syncing over the n network is livable with the air?

Yes, very much so. Larger files like films may take a bit longer, but not agonizingly long. The first synch, of course, will take a while depending on how much media you have. I am on a n/g mixed network and iPod synching performs well.

I also just ripped and decoded two DVDs using Handbrake without Mactheripper. Works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.