Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:14 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Microsoft’s elephant in the OS room: Apple

Category: Mac OS X
Link: Microsoft’s elephant in the OS room: Apple
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:19 PM   #2
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
nice article i guess, kinda long. i do agree that Apple has had an affect on Microsoft sales
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:23 PM   #3
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

well i do think Apple is impacting Microsoft, but probably not to the extent that most think.

how many copies of windows sold to mac users for bootcamp after all?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:22 PM   #4
clevin
macrumors G3

agree, hotheads always forget mac is, to some degree, melting into part of PC world.

Impact... sure, I would very much like to analyze the whole thing when it gets 10% global user base.

Elephant..... what micro species is this one ?
clevin is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2008, 02:28 PM   #5
brad.c
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevin View Post
agree, hotheads always forget mac is, to some degree, melting into part of PC world.
Agreed. Apple pushes Bootcamp because they are trying to sell hardware to a wider audience. MS could just as easily react to Apple as an additional platform/market for Windows, instead of worrying about relatively miniscule share losses.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:00 PM   #6
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaceofDis View Post
well i do think Apple is impacting Microsoft, but probably not to the extent that most think.

how many copies of windows sold to mac users for bootcamp after all?
I wonder. Have we seen any figures?

I suspect most people think Apple won't or can't have any impact on Microsoft, no matter how well Apple does. This writer is arguing that Apple doesn't have to do a whole lot of growing of market share to eat noticeably into Microsoft's margins, if they can steal away the lion's share of PC market growth as they've been doing lately. I don't know if this is true, but it's an interesting argument.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Analog Kid
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by binky2033 View Post
Agreed. Apple pushes Bootcamp because they are trying to sell hardware to a wider audience. MS could just as easily react to Apple as an additional platform/market for Windows, instead of worrying about relatively miniscule share losses.
I think MS sees the danger in that. I used to run Virtual PC until I realized I never used it. Bootcamp is big in the gamer market, and will probably remain so for a while, but for most other people it's a crutch. If my experience is any measure, Bootcamp means one generation of sales to MS, then those customers are gone.

MS certainly realizes that "growing" into the Mac market gives up the lock-in that MS enjoys. There's uncertainty about whether Bootcamp will lead to more Windows users switching to Mac than the other way around.

I have to believe that MS's paranoia will win over their arrogance on this one. I take the lack of the usual flatulence about how "Mac users are installing Windows to enjoy the wider array of software available for that platform" as evidence of this.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:21 PM   #8
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

What he said. I believe Bootcamp gives switchers a comfort zone, knowing they could run Windows if they needed to, but probably only a very small number actually do.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:35 PM   #9
clevin
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
What he said. I believe Bootcamp gives switchers a comfort zone, knowing they could run Windows if they needed to, but probably only a very small number actually do.
It would be nice to get the data.
clevin is offline   0
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Clix Pix
macrumors Demi-Goddess

Location: 8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (Northern Virginia)
A friend of mine bought a Mac a year and a half ago or so and promptly installed either Parallels or Bootcamp, I don't remember which, because he said, "I NEED a few Windows programs," and so he installed XP and whatever particular programs it was he thought he still needed to use..... Not too long ago he remarked that he had stopped using those programs altogether, had removed Windows and its ilk from his Mac because he realized that he didn't need or want that software anymore at all.... I suspect that there are a great many people who do the very same thing.

At the time I bought my first Mac I wanted to get AWAY from Windows, I wanted no part of it -- and back then we were still in PPC so there was not the option of adding Windows and Windows-based software to an intel-platform Mac anyway. However, I can certainly understand the hesitance about making the switch: the night that I was driving home from the Apple store with my brand-new iMac in the back of the car I kept thinking, "oh, I've gone to the Dark Side...." and kept reassuring myself that if I didn't like my new iMac or the OS I could always return it. Needless to say, it didn't take me too long to realize that I had just come into the Light and it took me very little time to fall madly in love with my new iMac and OS X..... I was hooked.

I suspect that many switchers these days buy a new iMac or MB or MBP with the idea that they can run OS X and Windows on the same machine, and anticipate that they'll still be heavily dependent on Windows, especially to run specific software programs that are only on the Windows platform....but once they really begin using their Mac and OS X that's when things begin to change.....

MS should be afraid. Very, very afraid.....

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion