Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

covertsurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2007
I have been holding out for a Montevina based iMac recommended by other posters. Speculation led to a release at WWDC but with the recent update will we see another update at WWDC?

Also with the update how does this affect technical specifications? I know Montevina was going to have 1066FSB which the new update has but I think Montevina was going to have DDR3 RAM but the update doesn't have this. Is this new update just a slightly tweaked version ready for the Montevina release?

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I have been holding out for a Montevina based iMac recommended by other posters. Speculation led to a release at WWDC but with the recent update will we see another update at WWDC?

Also with the update how does this affect technical specifications? I know Montevina was going to have 1066FSB which the new update has but I think Montevina was going to have DDR3 RAM but the update doesn't have this. Is this new update just a slightly tweaked version ready for the Montevina release?

Back when the notebooks were bumped up, I read some articles saying that Intel was discontinuing whatever processors were on those within months. Therefore, these "minor" updates are so Apple can actually keep making the machines.

I don't know all the specs between the different processors and motherboards/chipsets, so I can't really tell you much more. I gave up trying to know that info a few years ago. :)

ROFISH

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
Considering the numbers, it looks like both Apple and Intel overclocked some Santa Rosa chips to Montevina speeds. Considering that the iMac won't benefit from Montevina other than the speed bump (WiMax on a desktop?), I doubt the iMac would go directly to Montevina considering this significant speed bump, especially with the FSB. We'll see a Nehalem iMac at MacWorld in January 2009.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.