Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ROFISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
UPDATE: The "8800 GS" has been confirmed to be a 8800M GTS. According to various review benchmarks, it's *the* top-of-the-line graphics you can get for a single card, only to be beaten by the 8800M GTX. (SLI modes with 2 or more cards don't count. :p) The 8800M came out last November, so while yes it is 'old', the 9800M is nowhere close to being out. Unlike the desktop 9600 series which is on parity with the 8800, the notebook 9650M is based on the 8700M.

-----------

There's two variants of the 8800 GS: There's the desktop version, and then there's the mobile version, however it was renamed to the 8700M.

First of all, the desktop variant of the 8800 GS only comes in 384MB VRAM. Since it's has 512MB, if it uses the desktop kind, it's definitely an underclocked card. Which one, I don't know. I'm betting it's an underclocked 9600GT since they're much cheaper and more available than the 8800GT. Not to mention the 9600GT is a little bet better when it comes to GPU heat, power saving, etc.

Why did Apple change the name? Probably because it's significantly underclocked to the point where it's nowhere near as powerful as the card it actually is. Apple has done the same multiple times, including the 2400 "pro" that's actually "XT" in the lower end iMacs (that're still available).

If it's actually the 8700M, then things are a little different. First the 8700M allows 512MB of VRAM of GDDR3. If I were a betting man, I'd put a lot more money on it being this. It has a lower heat profile and fits better with Apple's MXM upgrade style. I highly doubt they'd especially engineer (or pay Nvidia to engineer) a desktop card for the MXM port used for the built-in screen. Most of Apple's actual components have been off-the-shelf pieces. However, the 24" requirement is the only thing that's blocking me from saying 100% it's the mobile chip.

At this time, there's not enough information to tell until someone goes and buys one today. However, either the desktop or mobile kinds absolutely SMOKE the 2600s by a long shot. If you play Team Fortress 2, the upcoming Spore, or any other "lower end - for everybody" games, you'll be good to go at full size 1920x1200 and maybe even 2xAA. If you want to play Crysis or UT3 with full effects, then I'm going to pull a fanboy and ask why are you looking at a Mac? Particularity the all-in-one with mobile components. :p

(A lot of posts I've seen are people wanting an even better GPU upgrade. I doubt we're going to get another upgrade between now and Nehalem. Especially if the Montevina chipset is actually in the new iMacs as I've heard. We're running on 8-9 month upgrades for the iMac. I highly doubt we're going to bump those 2600s. Mom and Pop don't really care about what video card they have, so long as CoverFlow works nice and fast. ;))

For full disclosure, I get payed this week and I plan on buying the highest end iMac. ;)

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Well I bought it and you were perfectly right.
It SMOKES the 2600 by all means.
I play SWG 1920 x 1200 with every single option maxed and I get a constant 30fps which is the highest you get in this game.
I'm stunned. I knew it will give me a advantage especially as I do a lot of rendering but difference is incredible.
Together with the 3.06 it finally reaches to the point in which I am satisfied lol.

ROFISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Well I bought it and you were perfectly right.
It SMOKES the 2600 by all means.
I play SWG 1920 x 1200 with every single option maxed and I get a constant 30fps which is the highest you get in this game.
I'm stunned. I knew it will give me a advantage especially as I do a lot of rendering but difference is incredible.
Together with the 3.06 it finally reaches to the point in which I am satisfied lol.

Is it possible for you to tell me what the GPU is listed as under Windows? (I highly doubt it'll say 8800 GS.) A VendorID and DeviceID would be amazing too. (That could be found in OS X under the System Profiler in the graphics section. It might also be found in the Nvidia Drivers too in Windows, but I don't know since I'm on an ATI card right now.)

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Is it possible for you to tell me what the GPU is listed as under Windows? (I highly doubt it'll say 8800 GS.) A VendorID and DeviceID would be amazing too. (That could be found in OS X under the System Profiler in the graphics section. It might also be found in the Nvidia Drivers too in Windows, but I don't know since I'm on an ATI card right now.)

GeForce 8800 GS.

just looked in hardware profile

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think its pretty cool how iMacs now have 3 seperate GPU choices and not a single Integrated one. Way to go Apple! Who would have thought this possible. I still think these choices from Apple have more to do with pushing resolutions rather then pixels for gamers but its still terrific. 2400xt,2600pro & 8800M.:) Its a great time to own a iMac, and a great time to be a iMac gamer.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
I think its pretty cool how iMacs now have 3 seperate GPU choices and not a single Integrated one. Way to go Apple! Who would have thought this possible. I still think these choices from Apple have more to do with pushing resolutions rather then pixels for gamers but its still terrific. 2400xt,2600pro & 8800M.:) Its a great time to own a iMac, and a great time to be a iMac gamer.
Wow, DontHurtMe, that's the most upbeat you've been about the iMac for YEARS. Almost makes me want to sell my 24" white iMac (with the 7600GT) and buy one.

furious

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
Australia
how long until there are benchmarks up around the web? I would be interested in seeing how the new iMacs perform. :D I will have one in about a month.

ROFISH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
how long until there are benchmarks up around the web? I would be interested in seeing how the new iMacs perform. :D I will have one in about a month.

I've seen reviews about the 8800M GTS, most, if not all, games are at least 60+ at 1920x1200 0xaa 0xaf and 45+ 1920x1200 2xaa 4xaf (Except for Crysis and maybe UTIII.)

techguy40

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
Which is faster NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT?

Can you please rate in then fastest to slowest.

Thanks

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

Except that for $40 more than the stock top-dog iMac with Applecare and 4Gb of aftermarket RAM, you can get an XPS 630 with a proper desktop board + 3Ghz C2D, 4Gb/500, a 2408WFP, 4-year onsite warranty and 8800GT's in SLI ;)

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Which is faster NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT?

Can you please rate in then fastest to slowest.

Thanks

Geforce 8800 GT is the best of the 3, then the Geforce 8800M GTS (the one in the new iMac), which leaves the Geforce 8600M GT as the worst. Far worse.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Except that for $40 more than the stock top-dog iMac with Applecare and 4Gb of aftermarket RAM, you can get an XPS 630 with a proper desktop board + 3Ghz C2D, 4Gb/500, a 2408WFP, 4-year onsite warranty and 8800GT's in SLI ;)

I don't quite understand why we keep seeing these arguments.

Surely people here at a Mac site is not that interested in a PC, not to mention a Dell to boot.

He was simply saying that this is the first time in many years where the entire range of products have a fairly good GPU/VPU.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
I don't quite understand why we keep seeing these arguments.

Surely people here at a Mac site is not that interested in a PC, not to mention a Dell to boot.

He was simply saying that this is the first time in many years where the entire range of products have a fairly good GPU/VPU.

The key is that this desktop lags behind the competition, and that nothing has really changed.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
The key is that this desktop lags behind the competition, and that nothing has really changed.

What? The Dell fits inside a monitor? And probably uses over 100 Watt more at idle too.

This isn't only about hardware and I am certain that the majority of people that buy an iMac is not solely doing it for the graphic card.

I see much more innovation in the iMac then that Dell. It seems you are preoccupied with hardware specifications.

The time has come when the performance offered by the likes of the iMac is enough for the vast majority of people. Their sales numbers seem to reflect this as well.

Oh, and sorry for going off-topic...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.