Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BVGuitarPlayer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Somewhere in the process of Migration and Setup Assistant accross 3 computers, I need to change my home folder name to match my shortname. It is getting a little confusing to have two short "names."

My home folder is - admin
My short name is - bobbyv
I would like tho change my home folder to bobbyv

The admin account as you can imagine is root, i have two other accounts, one that is admin and one that is not. I know about the advanced options in the accounts preference pane, but I do not want to change in without knowing what I'm doing because I do not want to have an empty and clean new home folder, my data is important.

Thanks everyone.

proboscisjoe

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Not Quite a Solution

Having discovered this two-week-old post during my own nigh on exhausting search for information pertaining to a user's ability to change the home directory, it hurts to know this information may no longer be of use.

Ultimately, there is no 'safe' way to change the home directory. It's certainly possible, and though you can avoid losing your data by simply backing up and restoring it, the implications will still be felt when applications that expect to find certain files in a certain directory are suddenly incapable of doing so and none of your settings and customizations are functional.

I imagine the only discomfort you'd be vulnerable to would be if file permissions required changing to reflect the new user shortname (and I'm just assuming this scenario is possible, but don't actually know).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.