Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Apr 28, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Freddy J
macrumors newbie

IBook G4 problem!! Keeps shutting down on me!

For the last few days I have had some serious problems with my mac. I will be in the middle of doing something then the screen will change to dark and all function will be lost. It says "Your computer needs to re start. Hold down the power button for a few secnds or press restart." It comes up in a few languages as well.
I havn't installed anything new on the computer but about a week and a half ago I got a new internet connection. I was using free wireless before, but my roommate and I decided to get our own line. I don't know if this is part of the problem but I doubt it. Now its so bad, I turn my computer on and within seconds this shutdown prompt comes on. I'm currently using my friends comp to write this. Does anyone know what may be happening and how do I fix this? Is there a recent virus that could be affecting the computer?

Thanks for all your help!
Freddy J is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:54 PM   #2
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Do you have a hardware test CD? start up with that in your drive and run a hardware test. It could really be anything that is causing your kernal panics like a failing airport card or it could just be the motherboard going.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:48 PM   #3
Wireless Buddy
macrumors regular

Those things you are seeing are Kernal Panics, and with G4 iBooks, these are usually caused by the AirPort card. Try turning your wireless off when you start up and see if it still does it.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 05:10 PM   #4
leekohler
Banned

It could also be a bad RAM chip. Definitely run the hardware test.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Freddy J
macrumors newbie

I have a feeling its the airport card since I only started using the airport last week. the last time I used it was over a year ago.
Freddy J is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs