Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:04 AM   #776
jwingfie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville View Post
So why do you get to ask for a recommendation when my post asking for advice gets the boot?
Huh? I'm not a mod, how the hell should I know...
Old Jan 8, 2013, 02:34 AM   #777
Gozar
macrumors member

Hi Point has been rock solid so far, only had it 2 months though.
I personally like the stock but know others who have gone ATI and been very happy.
Thinking about adding a Red Dot and laser/light combo, maybe a Magpul grip.

Seems inventory is tight everywhere, lucked out at a Cabelas one day.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:34 AM   #778
jwingfie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozar View Post
Hi Point has been rock solid so far, only had it 2 months though.
I personally like the stock but know others who have gone ATI and been very happy.
Thinking about adding a Red Dot and laser/light combo, maybe a Magpul grip.

Seems inventory is tight everywhere, lucked out at a Cabelas one day.
Yeah, that's seems to be the issue. If I can manage to get my hands on one I will probably pull the trigger... no pun intended.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:19 PM   #779
ocabj
macrumors regular

Recent modification

Recently configured a Glock 17 for a Trijicon RMR sight with a TSD Combat Systems slide:

http://www.ocabj.net/glock-17-with-o...on-rmr-review/

ocabj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:27 PM   #780
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

I need to move out of California.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:33 AM   #781
madoka
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Recently configured a Glock 17 for a Trijicon RMR sight with a TSD Combat Systems slide:

http://www.ocabj.net/glock-17-with-o...on-rmr-review/

Thank you for that review. Very nice setup as well.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:23 AM   #782
sk1wbw
macrumors 68020

I wish I still had my last pistol. I had to sell it because I was a single Sailor reporting to a ship. It broke my heart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Colt Python.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	394871  
sk1wbw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:03 AM   #783
r.j.s
Moderator emeritus

Picked up a SCAR 16S and a EOTech XPS 3-2 not too long ago.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360162957.502700.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	394911

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360162974.152487.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	394912
r.j.s is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:06 AM   #784
wthomas86
macrumors member

Sig P220 & AR-15

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachme...1&d=1364709967
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0216.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	405483  
wthomas86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 01:38 AM   #785
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.j.s View Post
Picked up a SCAR 16S and a EOTech XPS 3-2 not too long ago.

Attachment 394911

Attachment 394912
God bless America ! here whe dont get so lucky
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2013, 03:16 AM   #786
rezenclowd3
macrumors 6502a

Location: Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber at the track.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxette View Post
God bless America ! :
Careful, saying this and having guns will soon be outlawed here.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 11:41 AM   #787
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezenclowd3 View Post
Careful, saying this and having guns will soon be outlawed here.
Yeah a lot of panty hamsters lately
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 08:32 PM   #788
airmaxx28
macrumors newbie

Last edited by airmaxx28; Apr 5, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
airmaxx28 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 07:36 AM   #789
ocabj
macrumors regular

MERICA.

Old Apr 7, 2013, 01:26 PM   #790
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

I just got 2 30-round magazines from Magpul's Operation Boulder Airlift. Now, I just need a rifle to use them with.

http://www.magpul.com/colorado
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo on 2013-04-07 at 12.16.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	406657  
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:33 PM   #791
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Advice wanted.

I'm looking to buy my first handgun and there are so many choices out there. I've narrowed it down to a handful based on what I think I want, but I'd like some pros and cons and some opinions. Maybe you guys can give me some input.

What I want to do

This will be a range gun and home defense weapon (though hopefully it never comes to this).

I will probably never actually carry it on my person, though I don't want to completely rule it out. Unless I am using it, the gun will be locked up in a biometric safe in my house. I can't carry a firearm at work or even on work premises, so it won't remain in my car.

What I've decided so far

I've decided on either 9mm or .40 S&W. Both would have adequate stopping power (if needed). Both are common ammo, so availability shouldn't be a problem. And from what I can tell, cost of ammo is fairly close. Having said, that, I'm leaning slightly towards the .40.

I've decided that I'd probably like a gun with a sub-4" barrel. From the few I've held that I can recall, I prefer a more compact pistol. I also like the way that the shorter, more compact models look.

My Short list

Based on the information I've given, I think I've narrowed it down to a few choices. But I want to know if there's anything I missed or any opinions. In order of most desirable:

H&K P2000
Sig Sauer P229*
H&K USP Compact*
Walther PPQ M2
Springfield XD*

The * means that the local range rents this gun out and I could test these.

Lingering questions

I think I finally understand trigger actions and what DA/SA and DAO mean. But specifically why would I pick one or the other, or does it even matter?

Thanks in advance.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:24 PM   #792
ocabj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechko View Post
I'm looking to buy my first handgun and there are so many choices out there. I've narrowed it down to a handful based on what I think I want, but I'd like some pros and cons and some opinions. Maybe you guys can give me some input.

What I want to do

This will be a range gun and home defense weapon (though hopefully it never comes to this).

I will probably never actually carry it on my person, though I don't want to completely rule it out. Unless I am using it, the gun will be locked up in a biometric safe in my house. I can't carry a firearm at work or even on work premises, so it won't remain in my car.

What I've decided so far

I've decided on either 9mm or .40 S&W. Both would have adequate stopping power (if needed). Both are common ammo, so availability shouldn't be a problem. And from what I can tell, cost of ammo is fairly close. Having said, that, I'm leaning slightly towards the .40.

I've decided that I'd probably like a gun with a sub-4" barrel. From the few I've held that I can recall, I prefer a more compact pistol. I also like the way that the shorter, more compact models look.

My Short list

Based on the information I've given, I think I've narrowed it down to a few choices. But I want to know if there's anything I missed or any opinions. In order of most desirable:

H&K P2000
Sig Sauer P229*
H&K USP Compact*
Walther PPQ M2
Springfield XD*

Lingering questions

I think I finally understand trigger actions and what DA/SA and DAO mean. But specifically why would I pick one or the other, or does it even matter?

Thanks in advance.
The two on the 5 you listed that I like are the P229 and the XD. The P229 is a very capable compact. The XD is basically a Glock with a grip angle more like a 1911. The trigger on the P229 will be better out of the box than the XD. I can almost guarantee it.

DA/SA, or double-action/single-action guns are pretty much guns that can be fired with the hammer down, meaning the hammer is decocked/uncocked, and when the trigger is pulled (and safeties are released/off), the trigger pull's action cocks the hammer and drops the hammer (fires) when the trigger pull is completed. The hammer is left in a cocked position after the gun is fired (and only decocked when the operator decocks the gun manually).

DAO, or double-action only typically means that the hammer is always in a 'down'/uncocked position after each trigger pull, and that the trigger pull will always cock and drop the hammer for each single pull.

With DA/SA, the first pull (hammer down / uncocked) is always heavier than the SA pull. For example, the DA pull weight might be 12 lbs, whereas the SA pull weight is 4 lbs on that same gun.

DAO will have the same trigger pull every time.

Note: There is a difference between DAO and a striker fired Single Action Only gun, which is what an XD is.

In a striker fired gun, the trigger pull weight is the same every time. But, the gun is not cocked by the trigger pull, only by the operation of the slide. With a DAO gun, the hammer is cocked and dropped everytime the trigger is pulled, even if the gun doesn't fire (no round in chamber). With a striker fired SAO, if you don't have a round in the chamber, but the gun is cocked (striker back), and pull the trigger, you cannot pull the trigger again to drop the striker unless you operate the slide.

As to why you would pick a specific one? Well, it's all personal preference.

From a carry and duty standpoint, I don't ever want to deal with DA/SA. When I draw and fire, I don't want to have to worry about a heavy DA pull on that first pull, and I'm never going to take the time to cock the hammer manually in a stress situation. That's why I prefer a striker fired SAO (I run Glocks).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:35 AM   #793
DetroitNate
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmaxx28 View Post
Awesome! How do you like your SR9C? I'd love to pick one up when they are more readily available.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdechko View Post

What I want to do

What I've decided so far

My Short list

H&K P2000
Sig Sauer P229*
H&K USP Compact*
Walther PPQ M2
Springfield XD*

Lingering questions

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't forget about the Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm, .40SW, .45 ACP [full size only]), which comes in full size, compact and subcompact. It's a very high quality option for a very reasonable price. The rotating barrel from the Stoeger Cougar is a great design that results in low recoil. The PX4 is a pretty underrated option.

As far as DA/SA vs DAO or Striker Fired...Ocabj hit the nail on the head with his explanations. I will just give you my opinion on the two. In my limited experience with firearms, I have realized that most DA/SA triggers tend to be better (to me) than the stock striker fired triggers in the guns I have shot (Glock, FN, SW, etc)...But again, that is just my opinion on the two, and I'm far from an expert. That's why I tend to lean towards DA/SA guns if I plan on keeping the trigger stock.

What you need to do is rent or go shooting with a friend that has both types of action weapons and then decide what you prefer.

Last edited by DetroitNate; Apr 16, 2013 at 07:01 AM.
DetroitNate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:59 AM   #794
jdechko
macrumors 68040

Thanks DetroitNate and ocabj for your input. I really should get to the range and try a few out. Hopefully they have some DA/SA and DAO variants I can try out. In theory, I like the idea that the DAO is a consistent pull weight, but how it feels in reality remains to be seen. As both of you have confirmed, it really just comes down to what I prefer.

I've been to a few gun shows recently so I've held a few of them, but they don't let you fire them there. I'll probably end up hitting Cabela's a time or two since it's easier to find specific guns. I figure I'll be able to hold the gun, get a feel for the slide and possibly a dry fire (I don't know if it's allowed there or not).

I'll let you know what I decide.
jdechko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2013, 04:35 PM   #795
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
damn macrumor members stay strapped
Old May 1, 2013, 09:28 PM   #796
airmaxx28
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitNate View Post
Awesome! How do you like your SR9C? I'd love to pick one up when they are more readily available.

----------

I wouldn't forget about the Beretta PX4 Storm (9mm, .40SW, .45 ACP [full size only]), which comes in full size, compact and subcompact. It's a very high quality option for a very reasonable price. The rotating barrel from the Stoeger Cougar is a great design that results in low recoil. The PX4 is a pretty underrated option.

As far as DA/SA vs DAO or Striker Fired...Ocabj hit the nail on the head with his explanations. I will just give you my opinion on the two. In my limited experience with firearms, I have realized that most DA/SA triggers tend to be better (to me) than the stock striker fired triggers in the guns I have shot (Glock, FN, SW, etc)...But again, that is just my opinion on the two, and I'm far from an expert. That's why I tend to lean towards DA/SA guns if I plan on keeping the trigger stock.

What you need to do is rent or go shooting with a friend that has both types of action weapons and then decide what you prefer.

I love it. I do prefer shooting my full sized sr9 but i find my self carrying the sr9c more often because it conceals much easier. I have put about 2000 rounds through it and have yet to have one problem with it. I would highly recommend one if you can find one at a decent price with all this price gouging thats going on these days.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:09 AM   #797
TSX
macrumors 68030

My AK74

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk1wbw View Post
I wish I still had my last pistol. I had to sell it because I was a single Sailor reporting to a ship. It broke my heart.
I'm sure you got a pretty penny for it too.

----------

Old May 13, 2013, 12:04 PM   #798
ocabj
macrumors regular

Raven Concealment Systems Phantom LC holster and magazine carriers for Glock 17 with Surefire X300 and Trijicon RMR:

http://www.ocabj.net/raven-concealment-systems-phantom-lc-holster-review/

Old May 27, 2013, 10:40 PM   #799
madoka
macrumors 6502

Added fiber optic sights to some of my handguns:

Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:55 PM   #800
ocabj
macrumors regular

Glock 17 and Glock 19 in Raven Concealment Systems Phantom LC hosters:

ocabj is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery