Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Picture Gallery

Old Jun 6, 2008, 08:44 AM   #101
cleanup
macrumors 68030

Totally innocuous and non-political comment:

Is this sort of hobby expensive? It seems like it would be. And how did you folks get into guns? I personally think firearms are rather interesting and would love to go to a range one day or even own a pistol, but I think just being within 5 feet of one would probably scare the bejeebers outta me. Were you folks just brought up with guns in your family or did you take the initiative to try them yourself?

Just curious. *Hands up*
cleanup is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:11 AM   #102
iCheese
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post

Is this sort of hobby expensive? It seems like it would be. And how did you folks get into guns? I personally think firearms are rather interesting and would love to go to a range one day or even own a pistol, but I think just being within 5 feet of one would probably scare the bejeebers outta me. Were you folks just brought up with guns in your family or did you take the initiative to try them yourself?

Just curious. *Hands up*
Yes this hobby can be as expensive as you want it. Just like any other hobby: photography, audiophile stuff, computers, etc, equipment costs money. Aside from the initial investment of the firearms, cleaning and safety equipment and so on, probably the most expensive aspect is feeding your firearms with ammunition. This cost can be lowered somewhat if you reload your own ammunition.

I guess I was somewhat raised around guns, and I have always loved target shooting and marksmanship, so it was just natural that I started my own collection when I was of age. I also must admit that I like the ability to defend myself if something goes seriously wrong, instead of having to dial 911 and hope that help arrives in time.

You should really give shooting a chance if you are interested in it, and if you are able. You should have someone teach you the four basic gun safety rules before your first range outing, along with familiarization with whatever firearm you will be using. This will hopefully help eliminate any uneasiness you might have. I recommend starting out with a .22 caliber gun, as it has almost no recoil and is easy to learn on.
iCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2008, 09:48 AM   #103
Andrew Henry
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Just curious. *Hands up*

Scroll up and you will see 3 pictures of my firearms 1. Cost $2500 2. $750 3. $850. And that's only 3 of my firearms, yes it can be very expensive, but it's also very rewarding just as buying a new Mac, or a new car would be for someone else. It's fun to go to the range and shoot targets, and although it may not be for everyone, it's nice to know that you are able to protect yourself, and your family.

Personally, I hunted as a kid, then I joined the U.S. Army, and that brought me into the realm of "military" style rifles / sidearms.

And it may startle you the first time you ever shoot a gun, but I think you'd find that it's a pretty pleasurable experience once you got over the fear of shooting it. I've taken people who are anti-gun to the range, and by the end of the day they are asking me where they can purchase one.

Beware though, it's just as big of an addiction as Macs, even more probably.

Hope this helps.
Andrew Henry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 02:11 AM   #104
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

With firearms, money doesn't always equate fun.

Mosin Nagant for ~ $80.00 USD.

Box of 7.62 x 54r ammo with no clear label or markings, and is at least double your age. $10.00.

The fireball that erupts from the muzzle and then using a 2x4 to "assist" a stuck bolt: Priceless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin-Nagant
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2008, 01:20 PM   #105
vicious7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Henry View Post
Your post is full of ignorance, apparently you've never heard of long range target shooting or this nifty thing called hunting.

- snip -
I think firearms are cool, but I do have a question for you. That rifle looks like a PSG-1. I can see it being used for long range target shooting (or sniping ), but as a hunting rifle, don't you think it takes the "sport" out of it?
Old Jun 7, 2008, 01:42 PM   #106
Andrew Henry
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicious7 View Post
I think firearms are cool, but I do have a question for you. That rifle looks like a PSG-1. I can see it being used for long range target shooting (or sniping ), but as a hunting rifle, don't you think it takes the "sport" out of it?
Good question, actually it's a AR-variant chambered in 7.62x51 (aka: .308), it's not any different than your run of the mill bolt action rifle with a high powered scope on it, except for the fact that it has higher capacity magazines, and in my state, *if* I were to go hunting I would have to use a 5 round magazine, as that is the maximum you have while hunting.

Hopefully that clears it up for you a little bit.

Here's another one of mine:

Old Jun 7, 2008, 09:19 PM   #107
Big-TDI-Guy
macrumors 68030

That looks like my Kimber TLE, it jammed a lot. Me no like it.

Last edited by Big-TDI-Guy; Jun 7, 2008 at 09:31 PM.
Big-TDI-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:07 PM   #108
pointandclick
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-TDI-Guy View Post
using a 2x4 to "assist" a stuck bolt: Priceless

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin-Nagant
Ain't that the truth

I thought this was pretty good
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm
Old Jul 2, 2008, 08:50 PM   #109
iCheese
macrumors regular

picture from today

The top two targets are five shot groups that I shot offhand, and the bottom two targets were shot using a rest. The distance was a little less than 50 feet.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:52 PM   #110
Full of Win
Banned

Quote:

Just curious. *Hands up*
It is pricy, but they tend to keep their value more then other things, such as computers or camera bodies. Also, its good to know that if the King of England were to ever come over here - he will not be pushing me or my family around - NO SIR!
Full of Win is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2008, 03:33 AM   #111
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

the Israeli Desert Eagle is my favorite

does anyone here own one of these?? (the one on the left)
Old Jul 3, 2008, 09:43 AM   #112
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchneiderMan View Post
Does anyone here own one of these?? (The one on the left.)
Mr.Brutal.

iJohnHenry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:49 AM   #113
naftalim
macrumors 6502

Have you heard of the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) I served 3 years in the IDF Paratroops and 2 years after my military service as a Sky Marshall for EL AL, so I suspect that I probably know as much or more about weapons than many.

I have a dislike for people who hunt for sport. Killing animals with high powered weapons is not hunting and its certainly not a sport. I'm no PETA person, but killing an animal long distance through a scope is cowardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Henry View Post
Your post is full of ignorance, apparently you've never heard of long range target shooting or this nifty thing called hunting.

- snip -
Old Jul 7, 2008, 05:31 AM   #114
NRose8989
macrumors 6502a

My two favorite websites.... MacRumors.com & AR15.com

Here's some of mine....

Glock 17 and my trusty bushmaster ar15. I also have a kimber 1911 and a benelli super black eagle but i don't feel like taking pictures right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1251.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	122548   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1249.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	122549   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1248.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	122550  

Name:	100_0259.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	122551  
NRose8989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 06:07 AM   #115
Andrew Henry
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRose8989 View Post
My two favorite websites.... MacRumors.com & AR15.com
We definitely have something in common
Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:42 AM   #116
noodle654
macrumors 68010

Damn....some of you guys have some heavy stuff...I would love one of these. I just have some pellet guns, 2 pistols and a Hunter "22". It shoots 1200FPS...not bad for a pellet. Gets good range. I wish I could get some serious guns, but in NJ its almost impossible to buy a gun without waiting like 3 years and going through a course.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:13 AM   #117
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle654 View Post
Damn....some of you guys have some heavy stuff...I would love one of these. I just have some pellet guns, 2 pistols and a Hunter "22". It shoots 1200FPS...not bad for a pellet. Gets good range. I wish I could get some serious guns, but in NJ its almost impossible to buy a gun without waiting like 3 years and going through a course.
So, it's still do-able.

Get busy.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:49 PM   #118
fazox
macrumors member

2008 Springfield Armory Tactical XD-45 w/Thumb Safety
Remington 870 Express
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 05:04 AM   #119
NRose8989
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazox View Post
2008 Springfield Armory Tactical XD-45 w/Thumb Safety
Remington 870 Express
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Might i ask why even bother with a thumb safety? I mean you already have a trigger and a back-strap safety. it's like having a 1911 that still has a long DA pull. anywho it's still a bad a$$ gun.
NRose8989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:03 PM   #120
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
I have a bunch of guns, but I'm not really into them. It's just a bunch of stuff my dad gave me. A couple good pieces that mean something and a large pile of "other" that doesn't. These are my favs.

Colt .45 circa 1875 - I love shooting this pistol.

S&W .38 Special that he carried when he was a policeman.
macquariumguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:08 PM   #121
fazox
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRose8989 View Post
Might i ask why even bother with a thumb safety? I mean you already have a trigger and a back-strap safety. it's like having a 1911 that still has a long DA pull. anywho it's still a bad a$$ gun.
Springfield Armory added the thumb safety for the trials where the military was looking for a .45 ACP pistol to replace the Beretta M9. After the trials were cancelled they decided to add it as an option.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:25 PM   #122
Prof.
macrumors 601

I find this thread to be a wee bit scary. However, I really really really want this.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:32 PM   #123
iJohnHenry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
I find this thread to be a wee bit scary. However, I really really really want this.
Sure, if you want to be able to hit the side of a barn.

But for accuracy, I would go with the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macquariumguy View Post
Colt .45 circa 1875 - I love shooting this pistol.
There is no short-cut to accuracy, that a 6" barrel will not solve.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:33 PM   #124
iCheese
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
buy one

Read about the different variants and try to shoot them to decide what you like before you do buy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_P99
Old Jul 16, 2008, 01:17 AM   #125
jonathan92
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to jonathan92 Send a message via Skype™ to jonathan92
i have a very small collection compared to u guys but here it is:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	angle_left_side.jpg
Views:	2772
Size:	70.3 KB