Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
I just bought a new iMac and I want to transfer some stuff from my MBP. I tried to run the Migration Tool but it keeps telling me to enter a code in the other computer. the problem is that I don't know where to enter that code on my other Mac. :(

I'm trying to do this wirelessly because I don't have the right USB cable. can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm sure this is easy as heck...

f1

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
You can only do a data migration over your wireless network if you own a macbook air. Doing a data transfer over firewire already takes long enough if you have lots of files.

Roquefort

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2005
U.S. west coast
For wired transfers, Migration Tool is designed to have you boot the other Mac in "target disk mode", which simply means that the other Mac behaves like an external disk rather than a computer. (Macs have had this feature for years, and you can invoke it by powering on or restarting while holding down the T key.)

With Migration Assistant, you connect the Firewire ports of the two Macs together and Migration Tool takes you step by step through the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.